Things are crashing in KDE. NVIDIA is the cause?

Pepse

I don't think it is a driver issue because I also have Nvidia Gforce FX 5200 and works perfectly and worked right after installing the latest Nvidia driver. I reckon a hardware issue. Seeing you are getting a new mobo by the end of the week, it will definatly be worth trying. It shouldn't be giving you this many problems as Nvidia support is really good!

Illogic-al, uh, no, it's being a pain-in-the-arse trying to figure it out. I I have done "/sbin/modprobe nvidia" and the answer is:

Warning: Loading /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/Kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.0 will taint the kernel: non-GPL license-NVIDIA

See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information anout tainted modules

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/Kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Hint insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ paramaters

You may find more info in syslog or the output from dmesg

Modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/Kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o failed

Modprobe: insmod nvidia failed

So, I did "dmesg" and whilst scrolling through it I found a line about "NVRM: register chrdev failed " and the line above it mestions loading the 1.0-6111 driver, but I am running this box on the default MDK driver; 4363. And an error line repeated about 25 times that my floppy drive has an IO error. Then the next 6 lines are:

NVRM: pci_request_regions failed, aborting

NVRM: the NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device (s)!!

NVRM: No devices probed, aborting!

NVRM: This often occurs when rivafb is loaded and claims the device's resources.

NVRM: Try removing the rivafb module (or reconfiguring your kernel to remove

NVRM: rivafb support) and then try to load the NVIDIA kernel module again.

It seems to want to load the 6111 drivers but it thinks there is a rivafb module trying to load?? Do you think that being I am using the default drivers because of the 6111 problems that it might be confused??

Spiedra, your running an AGP card and bigger memory with MDK 10.0. I have a 64 meg PCI card and MDK 9.1 PP. Could that make a difference??

Later. Pepse.

Edited by Pepse

• 6 months later...
Guest kerrysl

Sorry to resurrect this, but I have exactly the same issues and seme errors. I have also read your thread over at JustLinux.

I have an ASUS MB, with AMD Duron 900, WD HDD, GF MX 2 400 and running MDK 10.0 CE.

None of the suggestions mentioned on this tread or the other one work. Interestingly on a original install using Linux 2.6.3-4mdk Kernal all works OK. NVidia drivers installed fine. However as soon as I did an update of the Kernel to 2.6.3-25mdk along with the Sources, got the exact same problems.

I must say at this stage I am thinking the best course forward would be to back up my /home directory, wipe the partitions and then install RH FD3 in the space and then reload /home directory back in. Everyone says Mandy is the best distro for newbies but this driver crap and instability is just not worth the time and energy.

I will go to 10.1 if it solves the problems, but I think I have read threads where people have similar issues there. From my experience it is NOT hardware or MOBO since it worked with 2.6.3-4mdk. It has to be either conflicts between later kernels and nvidia driver, or a config setting that doesn´t get set right during the uprade procedures. I would suspect most likely the latter but no one seems to know what that setting is, and none of the debug tools seem to pinpoint it apart from the kernel module failing and being unloaded.

You just need to do a google search for ¨No screens found¨ to see how widespread the problem is.

Kerry.

Guest kerrysl

Solved this problem for me.

I did that by doing as I suggested above. I formatted the drives and installed Fedora Core 3, updated all the packages and then installed the Nvidia driver.

Interestingly FD3 had an almost similar problem, but a very helpful webpage, with a users install tips pointed to a config change in the UDEV module. I think it needed an added symlink or modified one and then all was a go.

I don't recall Mandrake 10.0 using UDEV but if it does, or if 10.1 does this might be the place to look at for solving the problem.