Dedicated Fax / Email server

DragonMage

I just found a Pentium 120 with 16 MB of RAM laying around. Being a packrat that I am, I want to turn that Pentium 120 into something useful. Now, I am thinking of using this as a dedicated fax receiver / e-mail server (for paperless office). Do you think the computer is powerful enough for this purpose? If it is not, what needs to be added (RAM wise, hard drive wise).

Thanks in advance.

I just found a Pentium 120 with 16 MB of RAM laying around. Being a packrat that I am, I want to turn that Pentium 120 into something useful. Now, I am thinking of using this as a dedicated fax receiver / e-mail server (for paperless office). Do you think the computer is powerful enough for this purpose? If it is not, what needs to be added (RAM wise, hard drive wise).

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your volum and how many users, but for a smalll enough group it might work. I ran a mail server for 300 people with a K6-400 and 64megs SDRam with Red Hat 7 (POP3/SMTP) and it never did max the server out.

Hi!

IMO, the CPU is OK but you should add RAM (32MB is a minimum, I think, and 64MB is better). I don't know what harddrive you have, but you'd better have 20MB per user. Also, make sure you network card is better than 10Mb/s, and it would be good for your hard drive to be 7200RPM.

May I suggest postfix and bincimap for mail... The former is the well-known default in Mandrake, and the latter is a Maildir IMAP server.

This means that with bincimap, mails are stored individually in subdirectories of ~/Maildir for each user. The good thing about this setup is that each mail is stored in the user's home directory, and is owned by the user, so that you should be able to apply limits using simple quotas. Besides, each mail being in its own file, the risk of corruption of the whole is less. And finally, bincimap is a standard IMAP server, accessible from where you want, and enabling users to manage their mails on the server.

As a side-note, if you choose the Maildir format for mails, you might as well choose the filesystem that is best at many small files: ReiserFS.

For the FAX-serving, I don't know. But I'll soon set-up one, and I have no idea about available software and their capabilities. I've only read about mgetty... Please let me know!

Yves.

I run a 100 user email/router/http server on a 96MB P100.

The only time the cpu is used at all is dynamic web content...

POP/IMAP mail is more than coped with....

the only part which stresses it a little is the http mail access or php pages using mysql. (like phpBB or invision)

On Fax I dunno except if you intend scanning as well then the specs are different.

I think 64MB is a more reasonable mem requirement but you should be able to get away with 32MB...

Disk is largely per user limits and using the maildir as YinYeti suggests is an easy way to control this.