How to install mandrake 10.0 on Dell inspiron 4150

photoworks

Sounds like you mostly want to dual-boot. This will allow you to have both Windows and Mandrake on 1 computer. You can click here to get to the FAQ that will guide you thrue this. Hope this helps you get what you want, Eventually and hopefully you will post again when you want to install Mandrake no Windows :thumbs:

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

well, i already have windows installed on my machine.

Is there not a way that i can add Linux (version 10.0, instead of 9.1 as stated in the guide).

i am reluctant to reformat and remove windows because i have a lot of settings (passwords and bookmarks) i would not want to lose.

:jester:

You will need a partitioning tool, like partition magic, to create some blank space at the end of your drive. You can then use that space in the FAQ listed above to install Linux. I say, personally, stick with the newest version out there.

Linux will use whatever space you give it, but if you want a fully functioning desktop, complete with KDE, you'll probably want at least 5 gigs of space. That's a minimum. I personally have 120gigs of space, all linux, on my desktop.

I recommend you create at bare minimum 2 partitions. One for / and one for /home. Given the 5 gig example above, I would go 4 gigs for / and 1 gig for /home. You'll most likely want to have more space than that. If you decide to create a 3rd partition, make it /usr. Make this one the largest as this is where Mandrake (and most, if not all other distros) installs all of your programs.

my windows is formatted in NTFS, is that a problem ?

do i need to create a common partition (were i will have all my data and files) aside from the windows partition and Linux partitions, ad in which format do i have to create it ?

in fact i would like to have my files to be accessible from both windows and Mandrake 10.0.

:unsure:

If you want to have files accessible from both Windows and Linux, you will need a separate Fat32 partition to share the data with. That is the easiest way to share data. Also, changing NTFS partitions with partition Magic isn't a problem. Just make sure you get version 7 or above (8 is the newest, afaik)