Does external modem = Linux compatability?

sambo

No some external modms are winmodems, its a lot rarer tho...

also lots of winmodems are supported but not in the official distro's... support varies but if it can be made to work in one it can probably be made to work in another...

its always safer to check actual make/model

Nothing is guaranteed in life.. except death and taxes :)

Anyway, about 90% of the external serial modem should be usable in linux. So is most PCMCIAs. Internal ISA modems are very compatible. Unfortunately, most modem you get inside a computer are pci winmodems.. so you need to work on it a little bit harder.

I would say that with SERIAL modems, it's more like 99.999% Every now and then you find one that isn't ahrdware controlled, but it's almost unheard of.

USB external modems on the other hand are a different story, about 50% work, the rest are realy just USB to RJ-11 adapters.

RS-232 = serial port

serial port = RS-232

Well, in all fairness that actualy refers to the plug itself while serial refers to the communication protocal it uses, but you can't realy have one with out the other.

The only thing to worry about is that some of them have the old style wide serial plugs and but most computers these days havea standard 9-pin serial plug.

But if you get one with the big plug and only have a 9-pin jack, don't worry. they make adapters for just a couple bucks. Heck, I've got an extra and if we lived in the same country I'd just mail it to you.