K3B Setup?

Guest mandrake123

Disabling supermount isn't dangerous at all man .. lol

Supermount mounts the cdroms/floppys for you when you pop them in. It looks like cool like that but this is a Mandrake's feature and it is rather buggy. Lots of people having problems seeing files on their cdrom of floppy due to that. Make a search about that .. you'll see.

Once supermount is disabled, you have to mount and umount the cdroms and floppys by yourself though. No big deal if you use KDE, there is a removable media icon on the desktop. So clic and right clic the device you want to mount/umount and select what you want to do (mount, umount or eject). Il you use another desktop (icewm, blackbox, gnome ..) then you can always create an icon on the desktop (right clic, select new ...) or do it in a console.

To mount your cdrom:

mount /mnt/cdrom

To umount your cdrom before to eject it:

umount /mnt/cdrom

To eject your cdrom

eject /mnt/cdrom

Note that you can't eject a device while it is mounted.

MOttS

• 2 years later...
Guest goprisko

Hello:

I have lots of experience backing up Unix Systems. There we mostly wanted / and /usr and /etc to preserve the system. We generally used tar to tape.

But now I have mandrake and a CD-R or a DVD-R

To avoid all the pain discussed above could someone please explain a solid backup

method or strategy. One which will permit reconfiguring the disk, followed by restore.

I have a 2005-r3 system and added Thac KDE 3.4.0 OpenOffice 1.9, and Koffice.

I Backed it up using K3b, but the restore failed, even though I hand modified fstab

and lilo.config and re ran lilo.

Regards,

Indy

aec1@szu.edu.cn