K3B Setup?

Guest mandrake123

Guest mandrake123

Ok, i got k3b setup fine, i can burn misic and data cds just fine but i have a problem with copying cd's. When i bring up the cd copy dialog, my cd burner shows up as my reader and my writer. There is drop downs for each but all i can select is my burner for both. I went into the device setup screen for K3B and my reader and writer are shown correctly by device name,location,and mount point.Reader is Memorex 48x CDROm, Writer is a Acer 12x8x32. Both work fine with cdbakeoven but i like K3B better. can someone help.

All the devices must be emulated as scsi devices to be used by cdrecord (k3b uses cdrecord ... like all other ****in cdrecording GUI).

Search around for scsi emulation.. specially on the old board.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ght=hdc+idescsi

You have to see both you cdrom and burner when typing cdrecord --scanbus as root. What do you see ?

like that:

[root@localhost gd]# cdrecord --scanbus

Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24

Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'

scsibus0:

0,0,0     0) *

0,1,0     1) 'LG      ' 'DVD-ROM DRD8160B' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM

0,2,0     2) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW 32X10   ' 'T.JA' Removable CD-ROM

0,3,0     3) *

0,4,0     4) *

0,5,0     5) *

0,6,0     6) *

0,7,0     7) *

MOttS

Guest mandrake123

This is what shows up on mine

[root@localhost root]# cdrecord --scanbus

Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling

scsibus0:

0,0,0 0) *

0,1,0 1) *

0,2,0 2) 'ATAPI ' 'CD-R/RW 12X8X32 ' '9.EA' Removable CD-ROM

0,3,0 3) *

0,4,0 4) *

0,5,0 5) *

0,6,0 6) *

0,7,0 7) *

[root@localhost root]#

Basically you have to edit files. I assume you use LILO here. I have no idea if you use Grub. You should backup files before to modify them .. we never know.

1) Edit lilo.conf and you'll see the following line somewhere

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"

Add the device you want to emulate as scsi. If your normal cdrom is the slave of the second ide then it's hdd. Here is mine.

append="quiet devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"

2) Run lilo

lilo -v

3) Edit fstab and modify the line of your normal cdrom. Here is mine. I don't use supermount because it sucks so I don't know if you are. Also, if your burner use /dev/scd0 then your new scsi emulated device will be /dev/scd1 or viceversa.

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0,exec 0 0

REBOOT (very important because you pass the ide-scsi command to the kernel) and type 'cdrecord --scanbus' again. If it doesn't work come back here... we'll have to check some stuff links in /dev.

MOttS

Guest mandrake123

OK, i tried that but i probably did it wrong because nothing changed after i rebooted. I restored my backups of lilo.conf and fstab, so i am back to normal. Keep in mind i am kind of a newbie so i might need more dumbed down instructions. Here is my lilo.conf and my fstab files:

Lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=Windows.2000

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=180

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Mandrake.Linux

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Safe.Mode

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=Windows.2000

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label=Boot.To.Floppy

unsafe

Fstab:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda7 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd /cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd /cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

[/b]

ok ONCE AGAIN:

I'm assuming your other cdrom is at hdd (slave of second ide) here .. I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS SO CHANGE THAT ACCORDINGLY !

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=Windows.2000

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=180

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Mandrake.Linux

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Safe.Mode

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=Windows.2000

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label=Boot.To.Floppy

unsafe 

Now, run lilo with the following command:

lilo -v

You have SUPERMOUNT enabled in your fstab !!! As I told you, I have no idea how to do that with supermount but here is a TRY.

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Now, REBOOT and type AS ROOT:

cdrecord --scanbus

If you don't see you two cdrom then it didn't work. Type AS ROOT

supermount -i  disable

and use the following FSTAB:

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0,exec 0 0

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0,exec 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-15,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

REBOOT again and type AS ROOT:

cdrecord --scanbus

If you don't see your two cdrom, two things:

1) DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING !

2) COME BACK HERE and say EXACTLY what you have done so far.

I cross my finger for you .. :lol:

MOttS

DISABLE supermount. It is nothing but trouble!! Supermount all by itself could be giving you major grief.

Your lilo is saying that you have one scsi device emulation at your secondary master setting. Is that true? I have a reader and a writer, only the writer needs to be scsi emulated.

DISABLE supermount. It is nothing but trouble!! Supermount all by itself could be giving you major grief.

I Agree !!!

Your lilo is saying that you have one scsi device emulation at your secondary master setting. Is that true? I have a reader and a writer, only the writer needs to be scsi emulated.

To do CD-to-CD you have to emulate both your cdrom and writer.

MOttS

Wow, I have never done cd-cd so did not know that. But all I had to do was add the emulator to my other cdrom in lilo and it worked. The naming conventions in linux can be a little confusing, because hda is one thing in the system, but another thing with the scsi emulator! The following only pertains to adding the emulator in lilo.

Primary ide -> add to append "hda=ide-scsi"

Primary slave ide-> add to append "hdb=ide-scsi"

Secondary ide->add to append " hdc=ide-scsi"

Secondary slave ide->add to append "hdd=ide-scsi"

The quotes only go at the beginning and end of the append. So if you had two drives like mine, it would look like this:

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"

Again, I just had to edit lilo to make k3b work cd-cd.

Again, I just had to edit lilo to make k3b work cd-cd.

How are you going to mount the cd if you don't link /mnt/cdrom to /dev/scdx in fstab ?

Yes it is going to do cd to cd but you'll not be able to mount anything from that drive..

MOttS

Guest mandrake123

Ok, motts, i did what you said 5 posts up. I tried the first set of instructions not the second. K3B now allows me to select my cd reader for a cd to cd copy, however i do not seem to be able to use the cd reader now. My system hangs if i try to use it. When i run the command 'cdrecord -scanbus' i get this:

[root@localhost root]# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling

scsibus0:

0,0,0 0) *

0,1,0 1) *

0,2,0 2) 'ATAPI ' 'CD-R/RW 12X8X32 ' '9.EA' Removable CD-ROM

cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.

0,3,0 3) ' ATAPI ' '48X CDROM ' '3.30' Removable CD-ROM

0,4,0 4) *

0,5,0 5) *

0,6,0 6) *

0,7,0 7) *

Oh man .. I have terrible news for you. IT WILL NOT WORK 'till you get rid of the warning (cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page)

I think cdrecord can't handle both your cdrecord and normal cdrom in the same time. You get the exact same error that I got about 6-7 months ago. I was using a Liteon 24x at that time. Since then, I changed that device for a dvd reader and that solved the problem. Take a look at this and read everything carefully.. that may help you:

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...warning&start=0

Now, you could try to disable supermount and REBOOT to see what is going to happen.

If it still doesn't work then take a look at that --> http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.php?t=927

If it still doesn't work then we'll check the simlinks in /dev.

So try everything and if it doesn't work post here your fstab, your lilo.conf and post where is pointing /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 (ls -l /dev/scd*). Post also where is pointing /dev/cdrom, /dev/hdabcd .. .. everything that you think is relevant.. lol For /dev/scd* and others, you should POST something like that for us to cheak.. :

[gd@localhost /]$ ls -l /dev/scd*

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        31 Dec 13 11:28 /dev/scd0 -> scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        31 Dec 13 11:28 /dev/scd1 -> scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd

[gd@localhost /]$ ls -l /dev/hd*

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        32 Dec 13 06:25 /dev/hda -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        33 Dec 13 06:25 /dev/hda1 -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        33 Dec 13 06:25 /dev/hda2 -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        33 Dec 13 06:25 /dev/hda5 -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        33 Dec 13 06:25 /dev/hda6 -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        35 Dec 13 11:25 /dev/hdb -> ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/generic

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        35 Dec 13 11:25 /dev/hdc -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/generic

[gd@localhost /]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom*

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        13 Dec 13 11:28 /dev/cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        13 Dec 13 11:28 /dev/cdrom0 -> cdroms/cdrom0

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        13 Dec 13 11:28 /dev/cdrom1 -> cdroms/cdrom1

/dev/cdroms:

total 0

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        34 Dec 31  1969 cdrom0 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        34 Dec 31  1969 cdrom1 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd

We are getting close ...

MOttS