CD-ROM Help Please

boyce1

I noticed that when I installed Mandrake 10 an Icon didn't show up on my KDE desktop.

I found in this forum how to add it but no joy - it doesn't seem to work. I am fairly sure the drive itself is good - I just installed Mandrake with it.

When I click on the icon dialog box pops up, the drive starts spining and then everything locks up. If I just physcially open the drive, I get back control of the system. The media should also be good as I tried it with the Mandrake software I installed.

I saw a post that said to check /etc/fstab and /mnt - not that I know what I am looking for...

fstab shows:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/mnt has two empty folders:

cdrom and floppy

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes, they were enabled. No change

But thanks for the suggestion.

Something to try

Right Click on the Desktop and go to Configure Desktop.

In the Behavior (default) panel, there should be 3 tabs on the top.  The Farthest right being "Device Icons"  click on that and make sure they are enabled.

try this..........

right click on the KDE desktop, choose "new"->"icon"->"device" (or something similar to that path. i'm at work & going from memory, but you want to end up with "device" or "link to device", whatever it's called). for the device, browse to your cdrom device, name it, choose an icon for it, "apply". see if the new icon works. if you have magicdev installed you should be able to just click on the icon & the drive will (provided you have a cd inserted with media on it) open up. if you don't have magicdev, then right click the icon, choose "actions", then click "mount" to mount it. same thing to unmount it.

Chris

Chris Z,

Thanks for the reply.

What you suggested is exactly what I did to get the icon on the desktop, sorry if I was clear.

When I double click the Icon it attempts to mount then just locks up the system until I open the cdrom drawer. (I can't Cancel because the cursor is dead at this point.)

The media is good - I have used several CD's (data and music) including the disk I installed mandrake from.

I checked and I do have magicdev installed, but I also attempted your suggestion to right click and "mount" same response.

It opens a window tries to mount the locks up.

try this..........

right click on the KDE desktop, choose "new"->"icon"->"device" (or something similar to that path. i'm at work & going from memory, but you want to end up with "device" or "link to device", whatever it's called). for the device, browse to your cdrom device, name it, choose an icon for it, "apply". see if the new icon works. if you have magicdev installed you should be able to just click on the icon & the drive will (provided you have a cd inserted with media on it) open up. if you don't have magicdev, then right click the icon, choose "actions", then click "mount" to mount it. same thing to unmount it.

Chris

Well after checking all cables and reseating still no happyness so I installed another controller and put the cdrom on it by itself and it worked.

Guess Mandrake didn't like it being on the same cable as the harddrive even though it installed fine. bla :wall:

Oh well it works fine now - on to getting it so see the other computers on my network and visa versa...