how can I get Krec working ?

jeanrev

Hi all,

how to configure arts to be able to use Krec ?

is there a simple way to use it ?

what is the procedure to be able to record my voice from a microphone ?

thanks for your help

Krec is a totally assinine program. I can't believe they dumped simple Krecord for this pos. First you have to go into noatun (a totallly separate program) and install the fir equalizer and then the stereo compression plugins (In that order or else it won't load the stereo compression which is needed). Then (important) exit noatun (or else the settings won't stick. Then open Krec. then create a new audio file, then right click on it and set it to record and THEN record. Stupid. Huh? I even got a responce from the progs author. He says this is the way professional recordings are done. Since when do you need to open 2 programs to simply record a wav file. Oh but I'm forgetting something. It only records in raw data format. You then have to convert it to a wav file. :screwy:

I mean come on. And audacity is such a memory hog it's not a good alternative. But you need it to convert krec's file to a .wav file. But then again good old krecord won't compile on the new KDE 3.x.

don't tell me there is nothing simple in Linux to replace the good old cassette recorder of WIN98SE that I am using everyday ?

I tried to install audacity this morning and after some work there is still a few dependencies missing

so ther is no simple solution to register souns from the microphone in order to send a sound file in line ?

is this the case ?

so I will have to wait for a new linux distro

thanks anyway

:juggle:

don't tell me there is nothing simple in Linux to replace the good old cassette recorder of WIN98SE that I am using everyday ?

I tried to install audacity this morning and after some work there is still a few dependencies missing

so ther is no simple solution to register souns from the microphone in order to send a sound file in line ?

is this the case ?

so I will have to wait for a new linux distro

thanks anyway

:juggle:

In Mandrake, no. Debian has a few apps that might work. Xwave might work fine (haven't tried it yet) But no and I haven't seen anything new coming up so waiting for a newer distro won't help either. This is one case where the old simple was the way to go and such a simple process is being overthought. Hell I'd even install a gnome app to make it work.

In Mandrake 10 I have audacity installed no prob. It's just that it's such a memory hog. It always takes up all my memory and locks up x on me so I have to ctrl-alt-backspace when recording stereo. I feel like keeping my old Mandrake 7 installed on a backup drive just to have krecord back or jumping over to my win98 partition to record.

In Mandrake, no. Debian has a few apps that might work. Xwave might work fine (haven't tried it yet) But no and I haven't seen anything new coming up so waiting for a newer distro won't help either. This is one case where the old simple was the way to go and such a simple process is being overthought. Hell I'd even install a gnome app to make it work.

do you know the command :

cat /dev/dsp >file.au ? to register a vocal message

and cat file.au > /dev/dsp ?

I think I have to go back and check my sound card

how can I do that

is there a method to check the whole sound system on mandrake 9.1 ?

can I start from this indication :

L'application « gnome-sound-recorder » (processus 3186) s'est

bloquée à la suite d'une erreur fatale.

(Aborted)

thanks for your help