Minimum Hardware for Mandrake 10

boyce1

Hi all - Total Noob here...

I have an old PII 400 with 64M RAM.

I have been able to install Mandrake 10 and all of my hardware works. I was also able to install Firefox and access the web.

My problem is that EVERYTHING is excruciatingly slow.

I do realize that this was installed on a VERY old PC but was wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the response time.

For example would adding some more RAM be worthwhile? Would I be better off trying an older distribution or something or is this just too old to be even worth playing around with?

I don't really have any plans for what I am going to use this for... I am mainly just setting it up to learn a bit about Linux and play around some.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions!

Guest permittivity2

While I don't think you will ever see blazing fast speed, I do think that an increase in ram to 128 or even up to 384 megs would see an appreciable increase in speed.

I run Mandrake 10 on a 400 mhz pc with 384 megs of ram.

I also suggest using a "light weight" windowing system. Although KDE can be configured to run very lightweight, you may want to try Enlightenment or someother windowing systems. You might find that they use less memory and therefore increase some response.

There are some other browsers available than Firefox/Mozilla. You may want to try Dillo (www.dillo.org). Althought it doesn't have all the featurs of mozilla, it loads and runs superfast.

I hope this helps you.

I also suggest using a "light weight" windowing system.

I agree, I have a 400 mhz system too (we can create a club :P ), its a pentium celeron. Its running XFCE as window manager which is very light and works great, try it and you will see that everything runs far smoother than with kde.

Its true RAM will help a lot, on that system Ive got 384 MB RAM too, but i think itll run fine with far less since i only use it to run a P2P program and FTP progs, cant comment on office apps -as OpenOffice- since dont use them on that pc.

In short i recommend you the same as permittivity2, I would first try a lighter window manager and if you still find it slow, get more ram.

Hope it helps :headbang:

Edited by feralertx

Yikes feralertx & permittivity2, I guess we are now the 400 Club – wasn’t there some religious cult named that… Oh well…

I was rummaging around and actually found another stick of PC 100 ram so now I have a whopping 96 Meg! Of course now I am out of slots LOL.

It really made a very noticeable difference. I have a friend that might have three sticks with 64 meg each so I might be able to TRIPPLE my RAM whoopee!

If that works well I might have to spring for some denser chips – at least the price of RAM is coming down some.

It is a bit of a steep learning curve for me. Like I will install a program then have to search all over to even try to find where it installed and what the executable (is that the right term?) is to run it.

Oh well, it is fun anyway!

The amount of free proggy's available and the quality of them is just awesome - sourceforge is my friend

Now I just need to figure out what I really want to do with this thing LOL

Thanks guys!

Yikes feralertx & permittivity2, I guess we are now the 400 Club – wasn’t there some religious cult named that… Oh well…

I was rummaging around and actually found another stick of PC 100 ram so now I have a whopping 96 Meg!  Of course now I am out of slots LOL.

It really made a very noticeable difference.  I have a friend that might have three sticks with 64 meg each so I might be able to TRIPPLE my RAM whoopee!

If that works well I might have to spring for some denser chips – at least the price of RAM is coming down some.

It is a bit of a steep learning curve for me. Like I will install a program then have to search all over to even try to find where it installed and what the executable (is that the right term?) is to run it.

Oh well, it is fun anyway!

The amount of free proggy's available and the quality of them is just awesome - sourceforge is my friend 

Now I just need to figure out what I really want to do with this thing LOL

Thanks guys!

try this, open a terminal and type

whereis programname   i.e. whereis firefox

your new best friend until you get really comfortable in the file system. Hope this helps. B)

Thanks xbob - worked like a champ.

What characters can you use as variables i.e. like * & ? in DOS when searching?

Is there some FAQ you would recommend for someone that is familiar with DOS/Windows that is trying out Linux? Stuff like using F3 to repeat text etc? Tells what type of files are executable, ie .com .exe .bat in dos etc? All the little stuff people need to know...

Thanks again

I have a question in the same alley...

I have a laptop (266Mhz, 128RAM, 6GB disk) running Fedora Core 1 with Fluxbox. This runs quite smoothly today.

Will I notice any difference installing MDK10 with Fluxbox? Will it run better/worse? I'm espesially thinking about kernel 2.6 vs 2.4 ?

Be carfull when buying new ram for you old p2. Some of the newer SDRAM does not work in older MB's. (HINT)

I run Mandrake 10 on a P3 667 with 128mb RAM. And It runs better with mandrake than My AthlonXP 1500 (384mb Ram) runs with Win XP.

Thanks xbob - worked like a champ.

What characters can you use as variables i.e. like * & ? in DOS when searching?

Is there some FAQ you would recommend for someone that is familiar with DOS/Windows that is trying out Linux?  Stuff like using F3 to repeat text etc?  Tells what type of files are executable, ie .com .exe .bat in dos etc?  All the little stuff people need to know...

Thanks again

There are many options from the command line and we could talk about grep all day, but try this link for a good place to start, * is a valid wild card, and don't forget you can take any command and look at it's man page by typing

man commandname  i.e. man grep

And many keyboard shortcuts from Win work in KDE (although not always in the console window) such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, etc....

More to come, have to go to work for a few hours, later...

I have a question in the same alley...

I have a laptop (266Mhz, 128RAM, 6GB disk) running Fedora Core 1 with Fluxbox. This runs quite smoothly today.

Will I notice any difference installing MDK10 with Fluxbox? Will it run better/worse? I'm espesially thinking about kernel 2.6 vs 2.4 ?

I haven't tried any of the Fedora releases yet, but I have read more than once that Mandrake is fast, specifically on older hardware, but again, I haven't tried it so it's just hearsay.

Good advice Sapphiron - I will make sure to check before I purchase.

Be carfull when buying new ram for you old p2.  Some of the newer SDRAM does not work in older MB's. (HINT)

I run Mandrake 10 on a P3 667 with 128mb RAM.  And It runs better with mandrake than My AthlonXP 1500 (384mb Ram)  runs with Win XP.

OK SoulSe I have seen a couple of mentions of fluxbox so I think I will give it a try.

Edit: OK now I'm confused (again!). There seems to be several versions i.e. Debian, NetBSD Slackware etc - which one do I get or does it matter?

Once I get the correct version - how do I envoke it instead of KDE?

Is there a way to just end KDE and run fluxbox and/or switch between them?

So many questions...

Thanks for everyones help!

Upgrading Ram would definately help. You'll be amazed at the performance increas you'd get on that machine by upgrading to 256MB+ ram.

Also try using Fluxbox - a very lightweight but competant WM.