USB questions

Horty

Hi.

My nice new Mandrake Community Edition registers when usb devices are connected (using usbview), but can't seem to access or use them.

For example, I can't print to my Canon i455 printer, sync my Palm, upload from digital camera.

I have tried using the above peripherals logged in as root, and set my user group to usb permissions, but still no luck.

I am using KPilot with the Palm.

One thing I have noticed when looking at fstab, is that it seems to have been created by my former Linux installation, Morphix. I'm pretty sure that Mandrake Install claimed to have formatted the Linux partition, but obviously, this hasn't happened.

Could this be the source of my problems? Do I need to reinstall Mandrake? Is there a meaning to life? So many questions.

Thanks in advance.

Horty

usb stuff can be a headache. As far as syncing your palm, for some reason I found that setting up jpilot made kpilot work. By itself, kpilot would not work. I have no explanation. When syncing, it takes a moment for the line to activate. I hit the sync button several times until my palm "dings". (The sync button in jpilot)

As far as your fstab, why not edit it to your liking? I hqve not ran morphix, but it is possible that the same fstab will work. I really don't see how the fstab could possibly have been "preserved" unless it was in its own partition. :D

Thanks for your reply, Ixthusdan.

With regards to your comment about fstab, it is definately located in my main Linux partition. What worries me is that if there is bits of an old installation in fstab, could my entire Mandrake installation be compromised by left-overs from the old installation?

Naturally one would assume that the partition would have been formatted during installation, but this doesn't seem to have happened.

Will keep plugging away with USB. 8-)

Horty

In regards to the printer, there seems to be some issues with Canon printers. I don't think it is so much as a usb issue since they are pretty well supported now. I would try different drivers for the printer using hardrake or through mcc. If that fails, you can use Turboprint. It supports a lot of the Canons, but it cost money. They have an evaluation version you can try out just to make sure it works before you comitt to something. For the palm, you have to have pilot-link installed and make sure you have it pointing to the location of the cradle. Haven't used Jilot for a while. I switched to Evolution for my syncing which works good. As for the camera, what kind do you have?

Edited by spiedra

Thanks once again for the feedback.

I ended up getting the printer going with Turboprint. I don't think it likes the default Canon driver that comes with Mandrake, as I tried a couple of the models listed, but to no avail.

I also got the camera (Powershot 300) uploading as well by installing Gphoto2 and FlPhoto. I worked out that Mandrake could 'see' the camera, but had no means (that I was aware of) of telling it what to do.

As for the Palm, I am still having no luck. I can see it is attached to the USB bus using USBview, and I get an object for it on the desktop when I press the Hotsync button, but not much else.

I've tried all the common procedures, such as setting up device links (dev/usb/tty/1 and dev/ttyusb1), and playing around with the Pilot Device setting in Kpilot.

The closest I have got to success is where Kpilot stated the device was 'ready', but timed out when attempting the sync operation.

I have a suspicion that I may be missing something fairly basic, but I just can't seem to work it out.

I haven't updated as yet. I assume the packages are available individually, and if so, are there any that I should prioritise over others? (must upgade to cable).

Actually, while I'm on the subject of upgrades, is there one available that allows the user to enable static addressing for a network card? My Install couldn't find the appropriate package on the setup disks.

EDIT - just found the UPDATES section in MCC. Will give it a go.

Regards,

Horty

Edited by Horty

Finally got Palm to sync with pilot-xfer and jpilot.

I ended up using 'tail -f messages' in /var/log to work out what was going on.

Turns out that the palm was using dev/usb/tts/0 (as mentioned in previous post), which I then set up in JPilot.

Horty.

Edited by Horty