Windows/Linux networking blues

fangbite

For all my non windows computers i use Mdk 10 OE. For windows I use 98 and XP. I've looked over this forum and come to the conclusion that I can't figure out what I need to do. What I want to do is make it so that I can put my laptop primarily on the windows network and share files between the two. I know vaguely what Samba is but have had no success in getting it to work or anything else. What do I need to do?

Somewhere in Mandrake Control Center there is a Samba setup wizard, you can use this to setup Samba. After you go through the wizard, just browse to the folder you want to share and right click on it. You should see an option in the list regarding sharing.

Mandrake don't make samba obvious for you do they?

Here's what do do:

su
urpmi drakwizard
mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.old
touch /etc/samba/smb.conf
mkdir /home/public
mcc

Then go to server wizards->configure samba and punch in the details. You can use the /home/public directory we made earlier when it asks for (I think) a shared directory.

Reboot and it may work...

You can make permanent mount points from within mcc - choose mount points -> samba mount points if you want to. Alternatively, Use smb4k ("urpmi smb4k" to install it) to mount them when required.

Chris