Can't get GUI and login console neither

Aliendrake

Hello guys

I have problem login in mandrake 10.0 Official Power Pack. After the lilo bootsctrap (every thing looks ok)

the monitor turns black and I do not get any thing (Mandrake GUI) nor a login console. Here is my spec:

Intel D850MV motherboard

Pentium 4 Processor 2.0 GHZ 478 Pin

Geforce 3 TI-500 64 MB Grafics card

Nec Multisync FE950+ CRT monitor

358 MB Ram (rimm)

Adapted 29160N U160 scsi controler

IBM Ultrastar 36.4 GB

CNET network card

ADSL starbridge modem

Linksys wrt54G router

Mandrake 10.0 Official Power Pack ( downloaded from mandrake club)

Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

Do someone knows what the problem might be?

IF you do please reply

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have no console, something is wrong. If you cannot login at the command line, then you can't do anything. Reinstall. Just to be sure, if you downloaded, check the md5sum of the iso files prior to burning, and then burn with quality media at 12X or slower.

Yes your right. But  now how should I do without a console? Schould I try installing via text install inplace of a gui install? You tell me I have no idea what to do.

Thanks, gregory

What happens if you boot;

linux 1

At lilo press Esc and type

linux 1

and press Enter.

do you have a console?

lx, the only thing wrong is that Aliendrake has not only nvidia but a gf3-ti. I have a gf4 and do not have a functioning console unless I turn off framebuffer/boot splash=quiet vga=normal. It's a common nvidia problem that is solved time and again (even a few in the past few days) but it does not work with gf3-ti's. I don't know why.

Yes, that is my situation. Every thing works fine (lilo) until when kde must begin to load, the monitor turns black. I have allready tried at lilo ESC -> linux splash=quit vga=normal and press enter but it do not work. Its like is BVC says: a G3TI-500 bugg.

Gregory

Edited by Aliendrake

I would hit esc at the splash and type 'linux 3", press enter. Should get you to a command line. Log in and edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to load "nv" as a driver instead of "vesa" which is what I think it currently says.