How do you print in Draft Mode to save ink?

lawsonrc

I have never been able to figure out how to print in Draft mode to save ink. (Please do not confuse this with greyscale, which means printing in black and white only.)

Draft mode doesn't appear to be an option in any linux distro that I've tried the last two years.

I keep having to boot into WinXP to print in draft mode.

My printer is recognized in all linux distros: it's a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 882C and it is always recognized when I install a distro.

Richard L.

You use KDE? Go to printer settings>driver settings> under 'general' change the PrintoutMode to 'draft' (or even draft greyscale :) ).

(Last week the same question was asked and in one of the answers a lot of screenshots were shown. Good luck)

Edited by devries

Thanks, devries.

I'm sure glad that as a Texan I know German. It and English really help me to decipher Dutch spelling equivalents and cognates (he-he).

For others, here is the link to the screenshots:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...=0entry125985

Here are the steps that I used which may help Newbies and other NonTechies like myself:

I opened KDE Control Center > Periperals > Printers

At the top-right, I highlghted my default printer HPDeskJet880C (it's actually 882 but same driver).

Then on the bottom-right I clicked on Settings, then the tab "Driver Settings".

Here I clicked to open the General Directory and highlighted "Printout Mode". This activated a field at the bottom of the PopUp Window where I highlighted "Draft Grayscale". I then clicked Saved and OK.

Now if you wanted to, you could ALT +F2 to summon a Run...Command and type in KPrinter to do the same thing.

QUESTION: I need to EASILY change back and forth from Draft Grayscale to Normal without having to open up Kprinter of KDE Control Center each time to change it. It should be as easy as in Windows: CTRL + P (or File > Print...) and clicking on Properties, but I don't see this option in KDE under Properties.

Any answer for the question?

Many thanks.

Richard

If a program uses kprint to print you should have the option to click properties and change the settings. Unfortunately OOo, all the Gnome apps etc etc don't use kprint (though i've heard there is a version of OOo coming out that's integrated with KDE).

So if you want to easily change the printersettings you have to use kde apps.

If a program uses kprint to print you should have the option to click properties and change the settings. Unfortunately OOo, all the Gnome apps etc etc don't use kprint (though i've heard there is a version of OOo coming out that's integrated with KDE).

So if you want to easily change the printersettings you have to use kde apps.

With acrobat reader you can get it to use kprinter by replacing "lpr" with "kprinter". I'm sure there's a similar trick with Open Office that someone mentioned on this board (do a search).

With acrobat reader you can get it to use kprinter by replacing "lpr" with "kprinter".  I'm sure there's a similar trick with Open Office that someone mentioned on this board (do a search).

I've found this info by googling and it seems to work - I just ran out of ink. :unsure:

cd /usr/lib/openoffice
./spadmin

Select Generic Printer - Properties and replace 'lpr' with 'kprinter -stdin'.

In OpenOffice Writer, select File - Printer Settings. In the dropdown box, select <Printer> instead of 'Generic Printer'. When you now go into File - Print - Properties - Device - Printout Mode, you can select Draft. :)

EDIT: My Epson C62 has now ceased to print, even when I revert to the default generic printer, so beware! :sad: