Mandrakelinux Control Centre+Nvidia = no Xwindows!

lets-eat-gary

Hi people,

Been using Mdk for about a year, each release gets better and better, I have 1 major problem in Mandrake 10 OE however, it was also present in Mandrake 10 CE

- Every time i make a system change using the mandrake control centre it somehow buggers up the Nvidia driver making me unable to get into Xwindows.

- can't remember the exact message (maybe something along the lines of no screens found.)

To get back into X windows i have to do the follwing;- (you will see why it's driving me insane)

from the command line

- uninstall the Nvidia driver (sh NVIDIA-****.bin --uninstall)

- reboot

- XFdrake - choose Vesa (you cannot choose Nvidia as it won't go into Xwindows)

- Reboot

- install Nvidia driver (sh NVIDIA-***.run)

- reboot

- XFdrake - choose Nvidia - geforce 3 - start Xwin automatically)

- reboot

TADA ! finished

HOW can i avoid this, the following are examples of this happening after using MCC

- changing sound driver from OSS to ALSA

- changing boot loader

- changing internet/networking settings

It doesn't happen when installing/upgrading/uninstalling software

It also happens on my housemates computer - also running 10 OE with a (different) nvidia card, had a differnt processer - same problem though

Any help will be welcomed

Cheers

as no one has replied except Mr Ed the N00B, i shall give a few more details.

- It happens with the latest nvidia driver 1.0-6106 also the previous one 1.0-5336.

- It happens when using either MCC to do a system change

- Also happens when using XFdrake - to change monitor, graphic driver, etc

- It only happens if the Nvidia driver is intalled

- The exact same thing happens on 2 different machines (specs below)

machine 1 :

- AMD athlon 1.4 Gig

- 256 MB DDR

- Nvidia G force 3 Ti 200

- Via/AMD chipset

Machine 2 :

- AMD athlon XP 2800

- 512 DDR ram

- Nvidia G force FX 5700

- Nforce 2 chipset

Any help anyone :help:

did you use system to make any changes hardware/graphics related? i haven't had a chance to test the theory, but i'm guessing if you use MCC to make a graphics related system change (especially XFDrake) that it's rewriting your XF86Config-4 file & possibly buggering up the edits you made to it for Nvidia.

actually, now that i reread your post, you don't mention editing the XF86Config-4 file during your Nvidia driver installation. you must edit the "module" section for glx/3d & the "device" section for nvidia (& a few other options sometimes.). if you're not doing that, try doing so then make changes in MCC. if you don't know what i mean, post back & i'll explain in detail.

if you are doing the proper editing, as a test, you can properly configure XF86Config-4, make sure the nividia drivers are working, then do a change in MCC to reproduce the situation, then check in /etc/X11 for a XF86Config-4.old or .~ file. that will be the automatic backup for that file created by MCC/XFDrake. see if it's changed from the current XF86 file.

gotta go to work.........

Chris

Everytime you use something to change your hardware configuration, MCC runs harddrake. Unfortunately, harddrake has the habit of erasing the line in your /etc/modprobe.conf that loads your NVIDIA driver. That is this line

alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

So add that line back whenever you do something with harddrake. Then NVIDIA driver will load and you have your X Windows again.

Edited by DragonMage

thanks everybody for the advice,

I'll try DragonMage's tip when i get back tonight, i'll let everybody know the result in case anybody else is having the problem.

I've tried a few version of linux now - Xandros (free) , Suse 9.1 (free), Fedora core 2 and Arklinux alpha 12.1. And at the minute even though there are bugs i will stick with mandrake (although Arklinux looks very, very promising)

Cheers