Can't load KDE after re installing mandrake, HELP!

humano457

Hi,

I finally got to run my mandrake, I created my account and so, but, when I select as desktop manager KDE it pops out an error message, so I have to use ice ... something, I don't remember, so, what can I do to use KDE??, because, it really Icewin (I think that's the name) is quite different from windows, and I am newbie, so, I tough to get accostumed to it.

Luck!

It has something to do with dcopserver, when I try to start KDE it pops out that it "can't connect to the dcopserver, verify dcopserver is running, can't access david/home/IC_Security", something like that.

I reinstalled again Linux and it just keeps poping that message out, not only when I try to load KDE but with any application, what should I do?, is Gnome as good and easy as KDE or even better?

Interesting error :)

There are a few things you can try:

1- Log in as root (by 'user name' type 'root') and see if that works. If you can start KDE as root it might a problem with your KDE user account. Rename then the /home/yourname/.kde folder and try again. If that doesn't work it could be an authorization problem.

2- Second thing you can try is updating Mandrake. Go to the MCC (mandrake control center)-->Software-->Update (in Icewm). Install all updates and then try again.

I wouldn't say Gnome is as good as KDE but there are plenty of people who disagree with me.

If you are not afraid of the command line, try this:

boot, then upon the login prompt, hit ctrl-alt-F1, then type

root

at the prompt, followed by your root password, when asked

Then do:

ll /home

which should give the directory information of the users on your system.

If the user you cannot log in as has different owner and groupmembership than the user itself, something went wrong during installation.

Example line:

drwxr-xr-x 23 guest guest 4096 Jul 5 09:53 guest/

The first 2 occurrances of 'guest' on the previous line indicate this owner and group membership.

Now suppose your user account is called "humano"

and you see something like:

drwxr-xr-x 23 otheruser otheruser 4096 Jul 5 09:53 humano/

or

drwxr-xr-x 23 503 503 4096 Jul 5 09:53 humano/

you can just do, still as root:

chown -R humano.humano /home/humano

I'm presuming this is a ownership issue.

If not, you may want to try:

mv /home/humano/.kde /home/humano/.kde-old

which will make you lose all kde settings (you could still check them in since they are in .kde-old), but should allow you to login.

To go back to the graphical login, hit ctrl-alt-F7