Installing Linksys Wireless Card

Hello,

I need help on how to configure my Linksys Network PC Card ver.3. I have talked to LiquidZoo about this and he has helped me a lot, but I think I should just make a post to get everyones help. So far I don't know what do to I insert the card, and apon restart Mandrake reconizes the new hardware. I did everything it asks me to do, but I cannot get to my internet. I would like to know how to install the card, for good and how to make sure that it is installed. Also I can't configure my Router. Which is also a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router with 4-Port Switch Model: BEFW11S4. I hook up everything correct, but even connecting to the router from my computer directly won't allow me to access the router. I need step-by-step on how to install the Router & the wireless card. Also when I configure my wireless card can I hook up to the internet thrue other peoples routers? For say I have one at home and I take my laptop to a friend and use his router to connect to the internet? Is this the beuty of Wireless card? All help and comments will be greatly appreciated. I have uprmi installed by the way.

also I believe that I have the drivers on CD it's just a cd that I got with the card and I remember using it when I installed it on Windows XP.

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

Well LiquidZoo,

The installation of the new firmware didn't go well. I got some kind of error message. The only error message that I was able to grab was the one about the javascript this is what it says,

" Javascrip-Mozilla

Can not connect to PPPoE sever"

What do I do? Does this mean that I have to install this java script or what if so how do I do so? Also anyone else please write anything that you suggest,

-Luis

That javascript error made me think of something...

Do you have java installed? If not, that very well could be your problem with the routers config page. We have a very excellent java FAQ here in our FAQs section. This one was compiled by me using 2 very well written FAQs by DOlson and M0ttS. Check it out, follow it as best as you can. There will be places that you have to substitute the newer version for the one in the FAQ, but it should work for you.

Give that a try and see if it helps you out. Hopefully it does, but if not I'll be around later tonight (after fireworks with my girlfriend and her son) so I can help you out more.

Well thanks LiquidZoo,

I got to the part where I have to run the first set of commands,

rm java javac jar

is Where I'm stuck. It says that it cannot find file or name. That's all for now until we find out how to change that command or whatever.

P.S I'm thinking about downloading the 3rd cd and making sure that it is correct. I would like to install Mandrake again and start from square 1. This time I would like to run the full installation with all 3 cd. Also I need just a quick answer or which is better or whats the difference between mozilla and mozilla-firefox, LiquidZoo I really like the way that your computer looks, and I wan't to learn how to run something like that. For now I should be greatfull that I have DSL working and I have an internet period. So I'll wait online and hope to talk to you soon.

Right now I'm downloading the 3rd cd from another website, I downloaded my first 2 cd's from Linuxiso.org. Is this ok? is there a difference in the disks if they are from different websites? Or all all the cd's the same thing, just want to make sure that all three cd's run ok, I don't want to get some kind of error message on the 3rd cd and says something like it does not match the other 2 first cd's.

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

Well thanks LiquidZoo,

I got to the part where I have to run the first set of commands,

rm java javac jar

is Where I'm stuck. It says that it cannot find file or name. That's all for now until we find out how to change that command or whatever.

That's just fine.

That part is more geared toward if you're upgrading java, instead of installing it. Continue on as normal.