FireFox installation

Sherpa

i downloaded the package from the website that had the installer included, i did the installation, but i do not know how to start the browser, there is no shortcut in the kmenu and when i type firefox in the terminal, it says command not found...

I never used firefox I just know that it's a browser. If you have your Urpmi set up you can try this,

Urpmi firefox

Thats what I had to do when I wanted to install Mozilla ( I of course subsituted firefox for Mozilla ).

When I did that for Mozilla it installed a shortcut.

Heres the website were you can get your Urpmi set up.

Friendly FAQ

Again I'm not sure if firefox is on urpmi but install urpmi anyways, it will save you fustrations of installing packages, mostly everything that you can download is in urpmi, all you need to do is just type in Urpmi <name of the file > and if there is a package for it will install it. I'm very amazed by the capabilities of Urpmi.

If other guys can please make corrections to this if any of this information is wrong please notify me, once again I'm triying to help but not with the wrong information.

-Luis

ok, well it could not find it so i did urpmi mozilla firefox, and got an old, .88 version, but i want .91 is there an update button?

i downloaded the new firefox, but it is a tar gz file, when i run the installer program it wants to install it in the dir that i unpacked it in, instead of where ever programs are supposed to go in linux. should i change the dir to /usr/bin? or something like that?

ok, well it could not find it so i did urpmi mozilla firefox, and got an old, .88 version, but i want .91 is there an update button?

i downloaded the new firefox, but it is a tar gz file, when i run the installer program it wants to install it in the dir that i unpacked it in, instead of where ever programs are supposed to go in linux. should i change the dir to /usr/bin? or something like that?

rpms have to be made so you won't get the latest and greatest with urpmi.

Installing to the unpacked dir is what it is supposed to do, especially if you're a user and not root, as only root can install global apps (/usr/bin ....etc....)

Let it. If, for example you end up with the install files in

/home/Sherpa/firefox

opening a terminal and doing;

cd /home/Sherpa/firefox

./firefox

should start it.

For these types of apps check if your .bash_profile says

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

If it does, in your home dir, do (provided your username is Sherpa)

mkdir -p bin

ln -s /home/Sherpa/firefox/firefox /home/Sherpa/bin/firefox

or the short version

ln -s firefox/firefox bin/firefox

then when you run

which firefox

/home/Sherpa/firefox

I thought that when you wanted to update something you will just download it from the site in the rpm format, and type in

rpm -Uvh <name_of_file>

Of course substituting the ( <name_of_file> ) for the actual name and without the "< >"

This is what I did to update my GAIM. But bvc is most likely right since he is more experienced.

-Luis

Luis101  Posted on Jul 2 2004, 10:42 PM

I thought that when you wanted to update something you will just download it from the site in the rpm format, and type in

CODE

rpm -Uvh <name_of_file>

Of course substituting the ( <name_of_file> ) for the actual name and without the "< >"

This is what I did to update my GAIM. But bvc is most likely right since he is more experienced.

-Luis

Sorry about that I just found out that in order to that the file must me an rpm. Which I have just taken a look at the mozilla website and the downloads come in the tar.gz format. I guess bvc is probably the way you want to go, but if you can get a hold of the update that is an rpm, then use the post I have provided on top.

-Luis

now i have it installed, and everything is working except java....

i went to google to find a test java thing:

Test Java

when i try to test it, it tells me that i need to download an extention, so i do, and it installs fine, and even has a popup window that says installed sucessfully, however, when i close all of the open windows for the browser, and restart it, and try to test the java, it gives me that popup again, could this be a file permissions, problem?

found an faq on it, and it gave a command that made a link into the plugins dir, but when i went to brows through the plugins dir, i saw a java2 folder that was already in there before the link was made... wonder why it did not work....

cd /to/firefox/plugins

ls -l

[root@localhost plugins]# ls -l
total 2080
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     856 Jun 27 22:27 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2096844 Jun 27 22:27 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      66 Jun 27 22:15 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   19520 Jun 12 15:26 libnullplugin.so

what does yours say?

[david@localhost plugins]$ ls -l
total 2216
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root      856 Jul  2 18:45 flashplayer.xpt*
drwxr-xr-x  6 david david    4096 Jul  2 18:54 java2/
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root  2096844 Jul  2 18:45 libflashplayer.so*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 david david      67 Jul  2 19:05 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 david david   19096 Jun 27 22:10 libnullplugin.so*
-rw-r--r--  1 david david  129611 May 21 13:18 nppdf.so
[david@localhost plugins]$

got that working now, just the darn adobe acrobat installation, i have done everything that it says to do in the stupid Plugin FAQ link for firefox, but whenever i click on a .pdf download on google, a white page pops up and it says done in the status bar, nothin happens............