Evolution 1.2

MoonChild

May I be bold and ask how you two got version 1.2 to run? I had all sorts of problems trying. I am running 9.0 and would like to get Evolution upgraded as there are some odd bugs in 1.0.8 that came with ML9.

I'm definitely a newbie, but willing to give it another go. Maybe my mistake was doing an install instead of upgrade?

Did you use urpmi and Texstar's version? Or is there another way to go that is better?

Thanks for any pointers you care to share!

Hello again. After some connection problems I finally got a good enough connect to try getting Texstar's Evolution 1.2.0 again. I used urpmi evolution as cmd btw, urpmi then downloaded 21mb of files ( I managed to copy them out of /var/cache/rpms/ before quitting as su and saved them so I might not have to go through another huge download)

But, I get the following error:

FINISHED --09:52:50--

Downloaded: 21,580,058 bytes in 14 files

installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libaspell15-0.50.2-2tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urp.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gnome-spell-0.5-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/evar/cache/urpmi/rpms/libgtkhtml1.1_3-1.1.6-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/lr/cache/urpmi/rpms/libevolution0-1.2.0-5tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gnumecache/urpmi/rpms/bonobo-conf-0.16-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/aspell-0.5rpmi/rpms/bonobo-1.0.21-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/Guppi-0.40.3-5mdk.i5tkhtml-1.1.6-1tex.i586.rpm

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libsoup3-0.7.4-1tex.i586.rpm

Installation failed:

libgal.so.19 is needed by libgtkhtml20-1.0.4-4mdk

libgal.so.19 is needed by gnucash-1.6.7-1mdk

I want to use gnucash but could uninstall and reinstall but how do I work around this problem with libgal.so.19 ? This is where I am stumped and don't know how to proceed. Can someone please help me know what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do to resolve this?

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ urpmf libgal.so.19

libgal19:/usr/lib/libgal.so.19

libgal19:/usr/lib/libgal.so.19.0.3

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ rpm -q  libgal19 

libgal19-0.19.3-4mdk

Either type

urpmi libgal19

or use the Software Mgr to install it.

I'm pretty sure this is a default pkg for 9.0 (on CD's). It seems urpmi has a problem switching between media.

bvc and others,

To help me understand this for future reference I need some clarification please.

So the error message was telling me that libgal19 was a dependency that I needed to install? My understanding was that urpmi would pull in the dependencies that were needed to install a package.

I followed your lead and checked to see if libgal.so.19 was already installed:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ urpmf libgal.so.19

libgal19:/usr/lib/libgal.so.19

libgal19:/usr/lib/libgal.so.19.0.3

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ rpm -q libgal19

libgal19-0.19.3-4mdk

That makes me more confused than before.

do you have libgtkhtml20-1.0.4-4mdk , and gnucash-1.6.7-1mdk?

I may have cause you more confusion and I'm sorry :oops: . Either the 2 above aren't installed or something else is wrong. If they are installed, check for those _db.00 files in /var/lib/rpm and rpm --rebuilddb, and try again. You won't, or shouldn't have to download them again since the install failed, they should still be there.

My understanding was that urpmi would pull in the dependencies that were needed to install a package.
It's suppost to. I had the same thing happen when installing from ftp sources and urpmi, not finding them online, didn't seem to care that I had the deps on CD. So, I installed the deps from the cd and urpmi again.

Lots of fun... cannot remember all the things I did to get into and out of messes. I was able to find out that I did not have the libgtkhtml20-1.0.4-4mdk installed so I did urpmi that and dependencies. Seemed like a success. I also deleted two db.0 files and rebuilt the db and seemed OK too.

But when I try to urpmi evolution or urpmi --media myrpms file:// (the path to my downloaded files) it gave me another similar error.

Installation failed:

libgal19 == 0.19.3 is needed by libgal19-devel-0.19.3-4mdk

libgal.so.19 is needed by libgtkhtml20-1.0.4-4mdk

libgal.so.19 is needed by gnucash-1.6.7-1mdk

libgal19 == 0.19.3 is needed by libgal19-devel-0.19.3-4mdk

So I am worse off than before! I think I must not be understanding what this error message is saying. Since libgal19 is installed it must mean something else. Gonna do some more studying on this. Btw, I see 1.21 is out. :shock:

OK. I had the same problem with libgal. I think the Texstar one is a later version, and what I did is installed it first with RPM, forcing the install. Then I urpmi Evolution with my local files.

Gnucash still works fine and Evolution works as well. Sorry I had forgotten this issue.