mdk 10 official + alsa

retiredff

Hello,

I am going to install mdk 10 within the next few days and wanted to check if alsa was working

with a SBLive5.1? I use the emu10k1 driver w/mdk9.0. Alsa uses the snd-emu10k1 driver. I want alsa because midi and sequencer does not work with emu10k1.

any info appreciated

retiredff

It does work with ALSA on Mandrake 10.0 Official. I can tell you because I have just the same card as you do(and it didn't work very well with ALSA on mdk 9.0 :)).

The only problem I see is that I don't get any sound output to my rear speakers in a 4.1 analog setup. I have tried everything... even switching to the OSS driver.

Please, if you get any better than 2.1 sound, tell me how, ok ;)?

did you check alsamixer and made sure the rear speakers are not muted?

try here : http://www.alsa-project.org/documentation.php

then

Sound Card Matrix & INSTALL documentation > choose Creative labs 'click Go'

find your card click 'details.'

I remember somewhere there is the code for turning on the rear speakers. It is placed in the

.asoundrc file in your home directory. This is where I am coming to if/when I have problems.

Hope this helps

alsa works fine with sblive 5.1 which is what I had before I switched to an audigy; the 5.1sblive is now in my server which is still running mdk9.2.

And yes, I do have all surround channels working, then and now.

To turn on the rear speakers, you will have to fiddle a bit with kmix or whatever mixer you have; since mdk10 they really improved this a lot, before it was necessary to mess with some really obscure mixer sliders, now in my case all worked fine.

I also am having probs with my sb5.1. I can hear the 'sound system' noises but cannot hear music cds, in either drive, using either KSCD or XMMS. i take it that the playing of music is enabled by default.. ? :headbang: MCC knows the card is there, though i am not exactly sure which drivers are correct, KSCD identifies and "plays" the CD but no heavymetalthunder from the speakers... i am overlooking something

athlon 1300,

512mb

Nvidia 64mb

Creative sb 5.1 (both drives play music in windows) (2+1 speakers)

IDE 1- M : 46 GB ibm (win 2000), Sl: Creative dvd rom

IDE 2- M: Liteon cdrw, Sl: seagate 28gb Mandrake 10 official

occasionallytunefulal

Edited by clevedonal

i had to place my sbl! in some other pci

(i did one boot with out it, it was removed from mdks' config and then mdk had to reconfigure live card when it got back in)

before i did that i had front/rear/center/sub channels working, slider did change volumes for all the channels

now its all messed up - all the sound goes to the center, few to the front, i hear cracking sounds, before the config change i didnt hear them

what's wrong? do i really have to reinstall my mdk10? is there any sbl! dedicated software? (something like Creative Mixer - all in one user friendly box)

can anybody tell me what are those routing slider for in the alsa mixer??

i only could find some info in like - this are routing sliders - dont change them

(http://opensrc.org/alsa/index.php?page=AudigyMixerControls)

my card is sb live 5.1 bulk digital (sb0220)

(what does bulk mean?)

alsa mixer:

????????????????????[AlsaMixer v1.00 (Press Escape to quit)]????????????????????
? Card: Sound Blaster Live!                                                    ?
? Chip: SigmaTel STAC9708/11                                                   ?
? Item: EMU10K1 PCM Send Routing                                               ?
?                                                                              ?
?                                                                              ?
?    ????     ????      ????     ????     ????      ????     ????     ????     ?
?    ?##?     ? #?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ?  ?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ?  ?     ?
?    ?##?     ? #?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ?  ?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ?  ?     ?
?    ?##?     ? #?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ?  ?      ?# ?     ?  ?     ?  ?     ?
?    ?##?     ? #?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ?  ?      ?# ?     ?##?     ?  ?     ?
?    ?##?     ? #?      ?  ?     ?  ?     ? #?      ?# ?     ?##?     ?##?     ?
?    ????     ????      ????     ????     ????      ????     ????     ????     ?
?  100<>100   0<>100    0<>0     0<>0     0<>7     20<>0    13<>13    7<>7     ?
?  EMU10K1  EMU10K1   EMU10K1  EMU10K1  EMU10K1   EMU10K1  EMU10K1 <EMU10K1 >  ?
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Q: My DVD rom drive, in which is recognised a music cd, identified no probs, and seems to be playing the music, but with no music emanating from speakers - this drive is only connected via ide cable - do i have to take the audio lead from the other drive in order to get music from the DVD-rom? and why would i have no music from the CDRW drive which is connected?

(strange and yet confusing)

Athlon 1300

512MB

64MB Nvidia (probs with that too!)

SB Live

IDE1: M -46gb Win2000 SL- Creative DVD-rom

IDE2: M -Liteon CDRW SL-28gb MDK 10 official