KDE 3.1 RC3 and OpenOffice - weired problem

Guest omar

KDE 3.1 RC3 and OpenOffice

I installed 3.1 RC3 and I like it a lot. However one side effect of the install was that OpenOffice has all it's menus disappeared? What I mean is that instead of menu items on the top like File, Edit, Tools, now I have only dashes.

I think it might have to do with the newer version of QT, but I am wondering if anyone else had the same issue?

I am using Mandrake 9.0, AMD Athlon XP 1700 Processor, OpenOffice1.0.1.

I did do a complete deinstall and reinstall, but the issue still remains.

Any ideas?

I have a feeling that it is an XFT or fontconfig problem. Once I installed the newest texstar XFT and fontconfig and the same problem happens to my openoffice menu. All I have to do is uninstall the two packages and reboot, then I change my menu system in Openoffice.org to OS/2 style instead of standard style.. then reinstall the XFT and fontconfig. The menu will look bold but at least it's viewable. As soon as I change the menu system back to standard, the dash problem reappears. However I remember which menu and options to choose to change it back to OS/2 style again and all is well now.

the same problem happened to me, and i thought it was a languaje problem (im a latinamerican), i install the english languaje in openoffice and it worked, for a while.

i uninstall openoffice and reinstall, but no luck so far.

the problem is that i need openoffice to open powerpoint docs (and some others ms-docs)

ths