Wireless USB Adapter(Prism2 drivers)

QzarBaron

I have the Microsoft Broadband USB Network adapter MN-510. And I just installed Mandrake 10 dual booting with Windows XP(I am writting this from Windows XP). I checked if Mandrake recongnized the device and it placed the MN 510 under the scanner category and I was not able to go on the internet. After doing some research I found the card uses the Prism2 USB drivers. After doing a search on Mandrake for the drivers I found the file Prism2_usb.c. My questions is:

1. Does Mandrake have the drivers installed and if so how do I activate them?

2. Or if Mandrake does not have the drivers installed where can I get them?

Thanks in advance :)

:help:

Ok I will sort of improve on what I just said since nobody has responded.

Whenever I boot Mandrake and the MN-510 is plugged in it says:

eth0 [FAILED]

wlan0

then it crashes.

If I load it up without the thing plugged in I get:

eth0 [FAILED]

wlan0 [OK]

and then it boots. If I connect the device then go to Hadware Configuration it places it under Scanners. I have no choice but to use a Wireless network. I know that the device uses Prism 2 but I don't know how to get the drivers to work with the card. I really need to get the internet working on Linux or else I will have no use for it. Please help me. :help:

If it uses the prism2 driver, then once you log in (if you boot straight to the desktop) open a console, su to root (type su <enter> <enter root password and hit enter> ) and type

modprobe prism2_usb

If that works, it should put you right back to the command prompt with no error messages. Assuming this is the case, plug in your wireless adapter and go back into MCC -> Hardware and see if it recognized it correctly. If so, it should let you configure it for your wireless connection.

Assuming this all worked, you will want to open a console and su to root again, then type:

echo prism2_usb > /etc/modules.preload

That way, when you reboot with the adapter plugged in, everything should work just fine.

If you get any error messages, post them here so we can help you through them.

Ok here is what happened:

I typed in modprobe prism2_usb and had no errors

But when I went into HardDrake it still placed the MN-510 under Scanner.

I am sure the MN-510 works with the Prism2_usb because when I looked inside the file it had the ID codes for it.

Any idea what could be wrong.

The weird thing is I have no scanners on my computer yet it places the Webcam I have(but don't use) and the MN-510 adapter as scanners.

If the modprobe worked, try the echo command I suggested and reboot with the adapter still plugged in. See if that changes anything.

If that does boot up, but the internet doesn't work still; try this command as root in a console:

ifup wlan0

And post any error messages that you get.

linuxant has a thing called driverloader that lets you load windows drivers for certain wireless devices in linux, see: http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/index.php#about

I'm not sure if yours is one of them or not, haven't been able to find any list of specific cards...but it may...

personally, i think you just don't have the actual modul compiled, but at the moment I can't remember how to compile just the module.

Sort of a n00bish question but I am using the 2.4.25 kernel in order to install Linux-wlan(linux-wlan does not support 2.6 very well). So I downloaded the source code to 2.4.25 but when I tried to put it in the /usr/scr folder it did not let me? How can I place the code there? I do not seem to have the right permission.

just su to root and do:

urpmi kernel-source

and it should install the relevant kernel source. this is the best way as it will come configured the way mandrake had it when they compiled your kernel.

If you don't have the 2.4 kernel installed, su to root and

urpmi kernel-2.4

will install the 2.4 kernel from the cd's, boot to that kernel (it will automatically put the entry in lilo) and try what tyme suggested; but again, that's only if you don't already have the kernel installed.

Bah damn it. I run urmpi kernel-source and it says it is already installed but the source for the 2.4 kernel is definitly not installed(its not there). I ran urmpi kernel 2.4 and it said it was already installed. It seems the linux-wlan-ng drivers do work for 2.6 its just something is wrong with my set up. Does anyone know of any other way I can get the prism2_usb modules. I read something about the Orinoco drivers. But I am not sure.

Alright guys good news :D I got the Linux-Wlan drivers working. But I still can't go on the internet. When I run modprobe prism2_usb I get the following errors:

[root@localhost sebastian]# modprobe prism2_usb

FATAL: Error inserting prism2_usb (/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/linux-wlan-ng/prism2_usb.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I think this might not be too much trouble(I hope) At least I can boot up my computer with the driver attached and the system wont crash. And the little wireless light on the adapter is working so thats a good sign(again I hope). Any ideas on what is wrong now?