next problem

kilimanjaro

Guest permittivity2

just some silly things what we all do now and then:

make sure a readable disc is in the cd/dvd rom's before trying to mount.

also, make sure the bios is actually recognising the drives at boot.

Just as lxthusdan said, you should not ideally have both CD devices on the same channel, you should also not ideally have two HDDs on the same channel. Most times things will still work but on some machines some wierd effects are likely to happen. The main reason for putting similar devices on different channels is because you often read and write to similar devices aand this creates congestion and slowness when the same channel is being used to read and write to simultaneously.

When you copied kilimanjaros' etc/fstab , did you reboot ??? if you haven't done so because you don't usually and you are still in the same mode then I would strongly recommend it. Just logging in then out is not enough.

Magicdev is the current automounter for cdroms in mdk10. When it's working, when you put a cd in the drive a cd icon should appear on your desktop from which you can access the cd. When you eject the cd the icon should disappear.

I think the first thing you want to see is whether magicdev is running. You can do that by running this:

$ ps aux | grep magicdev

patrick 4089 0.0 0.7 14072 5840 ? S 21:33 0:00 magicdev

The above is my output. If you get nothing, magicdev is not running.

Also, please repost your current fstab. I'd like to see what it looks like after you edited it.

That appear/disappear function will only occur if you have not selected the following:-

KDE Control Centre.........Look & Feel............Behavior.........Device Icons and then ticked the appropiate CDROM and CDWriter in Mounted and Unmounted boxes. If you have then the Icons will be on your desktop all the time. If the icons are not on your desktop under those circumstance then it means that your devices have not been detected or have not been set up correctly. Since you are having problems I think it would be helpful to you if you ticked those boxes if you have not done so already.

Cheers. John.

for macigdev I got this:

kiliman 2679 0.0 0.0 1936 636 pts0 S 18:19 0:00 grep magicdev

And my current fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

I have rebooted since I changed it last.

OK

I changed my dvd to a different ide here is my current fstab

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdb /mnt/dvd auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

The problems continue. My cd-rw doesn't work when I am logged on, but it will open while I am booting up. Any ideas?

Try running this command in a console:

$ su

<enter root password>

# fuser -km /mnt/cdrom

That should kill any process trying to access your cd writer. See if you can open the drive now.

If not try running:

# killall magicdev

That will turn off magicdev. Again, try to open the drive. To restart magicdev, log out and log back in.

I tricked it. I left the tray open as it booted and the closed after I logged on, so it works for now, or atleast that part of it. Magigdev is kind of working, it gives me an icon, but when I try to access it I am told that the /mnt/ file doesn't exist for both drives. I can access both drives as root now also.

I tried to change the permissions, but it said I didn't have the authority as root to change them.

kilimanjaro . I see in your fstab that your first cdrom line has <iocharset=iso8859-1>

I think it should read as <iocharset=iso8859-15> the same as the other other drive and the floppy should read that way as well. i.e. it should be 15 and not 1.

John.

Well...it may not be a pretty solution, but iI have fixed my problem in KDE. I re-installed 10.0 and magicedev seems to be working fine, in KDE, but I still can't access my cdroms in fluxbox.

Current fstab:

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

I still haven't tried to burn a cd yet.