Albatron NVidia FX5500

vasim

Hello

I have trying many times to install my NVidia FX5500 to Mandrake 10 Official but nothing.

I have downoload the driver (5336) from NVidia site and try to do the steps mentioned in the wizard

After all the driver installation wizard says that is compiling the NVidia Kernel. When the progress reaches the 100% the installation freezes and the pc the same and the only way to reboot is to press the Reset Button.

Please is there any help for this? :help:

OK, let's not assume anything. Would you please list, step by step, what your are doing and where the error occurs. Also, can you get video with the linux driver, that is, the one that doesn't give 3-D?

Hi again, and thanks for your reply

Iam going to write the steps I am doing...

I am Installing Mandrake in a different disk on the same pc Disk 1 Windows XP PRO and in the Second Disk Mandrake Linux 10 Official

Then When Installation finishes (typical installation of Linux including the available kernel sources rpm) I am starting to a console typing su root and then init 3 to leave the graphic environment.

Then when i go logged in, I am running the sh Nvidia-something-5336-pkg1.run command and the wizard starts.

The wizard asks me to rebuild the kernel and I choose OK.

A proggress loads and when this reaches the end the computer freezes at all and I must reboot.

Of course after all these no driver is installed and no change has made to system...

Do a modprobe nvidia and verify that the driver is not present. The driver may be there and the script is not completing for some reason. Also, along that line, re-download the driver program. It might be a bad file. If the driver installs ok, then edit modules.conf to include a line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" which should automatically insert it at load time.

I would redownload, in case it is a bad file and the compiled driver is also funky!

Yes the machine is based on an AMD64 Processor...but I thought that because I was using the 32-bit version of Mandrake the suitable driver was the 5336...Am I wrong. Should I change the driver with the AMD64 version of the driver?

As I said before I tried to install the driver tonight but nothing... The same problem...the only thing I have to do now is to try to apply the AMD64 bit version of the driver...

Thanks in advance

Vasim

Hello again...

Things came as I afraid...

The driver for AMD64 is not the suitable for my system cause although my processor is an AMD64 the problem is that the version of the linux is 32bit...

As you can understand the driver installation deosn't even start showing a message that the version of the driver does not match the linux version

Is the only thing I have to do now to rebuild the kernel? or continue working with the "vesa" version of the driver and being satisfied because nobody can guarantee me that after kernel rebuild all things will go right?

I have never rebuilt a linux kernel in order to run an nvidia driver. Perhaps you are confusing the nvidia kernel with the linux kernel. The nvidia installer always builds the drive om your computer.

Go here and see if our own preconfigured rpm's will do anything.