modem/mouse conflict

Guest zonezapper

Guest zonezapper

I install M9 on my gigabyte 5AA board. When I try to get on line, my mouse locks up. When I unplug the phone line from the modem, the mouse goes normal

I change the modem setting from com port 2 to com port 3. This did not help.

How do I get into the settings file so that I can change the com ports? Or should i do something differnent?

I am using a Rockwell 56K modem. It is not a winmodem.

Thanks, Tom

Kansas, USA

I might get into the bios and see what the assignments are there. I am assuming it is not a ps2 mouse but a com mouse?

Remember that com assignments are done with port/irq. Usually the defaults are com1 irq 4, com 2 irq 3. com 3 is a derivative of com 1, and com 4 is a derivative of com 2. So your mouse should be 2 or 4 if your modem is 1.

It's an IRQ conflict.

I've seen this very thing when you have a software modem and hardware modem sharing the same IRQ. The best bet is to pull un-necessary cards until you find the culprit, and then try changing IRQ assignements until you get it working, better yet, switch to an external serial modem.

Did you boot into your bios, yet? If you have your ps2 activated in the bios, the auto configure for your irq's by the bios should work fine.

Do you have another com device besides the internal modem?

It is indeed an irq conflict, but with your board you should start with the bios settings in order to resolve it.

Guest zonezapper

I got it fixed!! The Rockwell 56K modem had jumpers that were not in the proper places.

IRQ 12 is for the PS2 mouse. Someone had that one jumpered. I removed the jumper and that fixed it. :) :)

Thanks, Tom

I'm going to post another problem!