Sound in 10OE

Ixthusdan

I have had this sound card for several years, and it has always worked in Mandrake. But now I have a problem that I can't fix. So, here it is.

No kde programs will use the card. Pysol has sound, but nothing related to kde. Why, you ask? When I check it all out, MCC thinks it's using the snd-emu10k1 driver, but draksound thinks it is using the emu10k1 driver. When I check to see what is loaded, the emu10k1 driver is on deck. When I try to change the sound driver with MCC, nvidia is lost!! After I reinstall nvidia, I still have no kde programs using the sound card. What am I missing? :wall:

Oh, sound worked fine until I ran an update on the Drake tools several weeks ago. :angry:

what's the low_down in kcontrol?

both at install and post install mcc/drakxtools/whatever has always said alsa....but I'm using oss :rolleyes: (sb 16 pci ....es1371)

nvidia is not lost but as pmpatrick found;

alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

is removed from modprobe.conf

Edited by bvc

Interesting, as an aside, I quit using the kde desktop because from MDK 9.1 on through 10.0 OE I could not get my SB Live or SB Audigy to work. Went to Gnome and life is good (sound wise). Oh, and I actually like the Gnome environment better (that was not a troll comment - sorry).

I have in the past had sound in every environment-gnome, kde, enlightenment, icewm- and this is the first time I have had this issue consistently. I am beginning to think that 10 may be a slight recurance of the dreaded 8.1 fiasco!

I am beginning to think that 10 may be a slight recurance of the dreaded 8.1 fiasco!

It does seem that way, doesn't it :unsure:

But, 8.1 was the first mandrake I got to run (7.2 wouldn't)....it was my learning stick, and a great one at that ;) Unfortunately for most users that's not suppose to be the idea :sad:

remember, I don't have the sb live, just the sb 16 pci but through all the 10-betas and CE, when I ran kde-3.2 I used alsa, and everything worked. Have you tried to setup alsa manually?...staying away from drakxtools?