Battery Monitor

Mau

I'm trying to enable my batter monitor on my laptop.

I found the correct setting, but it just says "There is no ACPI (or something like it) installed".

What do I need to do to get the batter monitor working? Its painful when I'm working and suddenly everything is filled with darkness.

You need to enable ACPI for the battery monitor.

Install it, if it's not already installed with:

urpmi acpi acpid

Then go into MCC -> boot -> bootloader and make sure the "Use (or Enable) ACPI" is checked. Then go back to the "main" MCC screen (10.x) and go to System -> Services. Uncheck the "On Boot" option from apm and apmd (if it's there) and check them on acpi and acpid. Reboot and it should work for you.

I just did what was suggested, and now I cannot boot into Linux at all. :cheeky: How can I un-do this change? I know that I need to disable acpi & acpid from starting at boot, but I am not sure how to do this since I cannot boot in. Any thoughts would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming you use lilo:

On the lilo screen, press esc and type "linux acpi=off" - this should get you running.

Then you can edit your lilo.conf file - add (or change) acpi=off to the append= line, OR try editing the acpi script as below.

What is possibly happening is an acpi module is causing the lock up - in my case (IBM thinkpad R40e) it was the thermal module. You can turn it off in /etc/rc.d/init.d/acpi by editing the MODULES= line you will find near the top of the file - best just start with just battery and ac and try it out. Add more modules later if it works.

You will need to run "lilo" at the command line as root if you alter /etc/lilo.conf.

chris

• 1 month later...
Guest johncoom
You need to enable ACPI for the battery monitor.

Install it, if it's not already installed with:

urpmi acpi acpid

Then go into MCC -> boot -> bootloader and make sure the "Use (or Enable) ACPI" is checked.  Then go back to the "main" MCC screen (10.x) and go to System -> Services.  Uncheck the "On Boot" option from apm and apmd (if it's there) and check them on acpi and acpid.  Reboot and it should work for you.

BTW above you indicate MDK 10.0 with (10x) well this method also works in MDK 9.2

I have both installed on my AOpen P4 Laptop (is like an Acer) and it works on both :-)