KDE system sound notification volume

papaschtroumpf

i'm not at the linux box right now, but the settings are somewhere in Kontrol Center. maybe in "sound" or "look & feel". look for settings for "notifications". if somebody doesn't narrow it down or you can't find it before i get home, i'll post back with the exact info later tonight.

Chris

Edited by chris z

You can't change the volume in System Notifications.

On the KDE Start menu, navigate via Multimedia - Sound to KMix. Click to start. You can adjust the volume there - or under Settings, select Configure KMix; check Dock into Panel and Enable System Tray Volume Control; Apply and OK. Close the main application. You can left click (twice) on the panel icon to change the volume.

I'm using KDE 3.1.3 and Mandrake 9.1, but I doubt if this has changed... :)

Do you need the pings and dings notifications?

You can turn them off if you wish. It's in K -> System -> Configuration -> KDE -> Sound (I think, might be system -> Sounds and notifications).

Also, if you lower the main system volume in aumix or Kmix, it will affect overall system sound, but apps like xmms and xine have their own volume control. I think they're separate from the system sounds.

Yes, as LiquidZoo says, you can lower the volume of the system sounds without lowering the volume of the palyers etc. It's done somewhere in the desktop setup (K-> System -> Setup your desktop (or something)) I think you got to go to the sound settings and there is a separate volume setting for the system sounds. Don't use Kmix.

I had the same problem and got rid of it.

Hashimoto

it's Kontrol Center->lookNfeel->system notifications, then look for the button in the lower right corner that says "player settings". pick a system sound notification from the list that you want to quiet down, click the player settings button, adjust the volume their, or disable it all together & use the "external player" option which will let you use another sound app to play the sounds. click "apply" when done.

Chris