Adding a network printer

bigjohn

Hi forum,

I've got an HP laserjet 5N plugged into my network, but if I just try to "add a printer" (as I did previously with earlier versions of mandrake) it's not detected.

Any advice as to how I get this "added/configured" please?

regards

John

p.s. When I searched, I found a thread that discussed this but mentioned installing the latest kernel update/upgrade, well I've managed to get the 2.6.3-13mdk installed and running, though I don't follow why that should make any difference?

Hi John,

If you have cups installed, and it's running, try browsing with galeon/konqueror/mozilla/whatever to http://localhost:631/ and setting up your printer as follows:

Click on printers, add printer, (log in as root at the password prompts), enter printer name (make one up, no spaces or special characters), location can be anything, make it the IP address of the printer, choose AppSocket/HP Jet Direct, enter socket://[ip address of your printer], continue with the prompts, and finally, your printer should be installed.

to see if the cups daemon has correctly written your printer to file, at a bash, type:

cat /etc/cups/printers.conf and check to see that the values correspond to what u selected from the admin tool.

good idea: restart cups (/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart), and try to print.

If you installed Mandrake, cups should be installed by default.

Regards,

Armond

Cheer's for that armondf,

Just for anyone else who might need it, when I first followed armondf's instructions, my network printer still sat there completely mute.

I ended up going through the setup/modify printer facility because in the instructions, it said about sending the print to socket://hostname:9100, which I had "slavishly" copied - wrongly :oops: and although I then changed it to my hostname it still didn't want to work. So I've run through the modify facility and instead of using my hostname, I've put in the LAN ip that I allocated.

This kicked the printer into life, but the LED panel kept telling me that the "requested language wasn't available", now I haven't got a clue what that mean's (english used and english set as the default printer language, so obviously it's a "different" sort of language).

So what I've done is to change the driver from HP5/5m postscript, to the HP 5 series - CUPS+gimp-print driver.

This seems to have worked and it's now printing test pages.

thanks to armondf for the instructions/advice.

regards

John

have you tried installing through the mandrake control center?

Go to hardware -> printers , now enable expert mode and you should be able to enter the IP address and other info for your printer, you should get a drop-down list of printer drivers and some printers have different drivers for different "printer languages" so you can try them one at a time.

Yeah, I tried that but for reason's that are "over my head" it didn't want to play (that was how I'd always installed it with previous versions of mandrake).

Though now I've got the latest kernel version running OK, I might just have another go!

thanks for the reminder

regards

John