Exessive Harddrive Access?!?

Mau

I've noticed Mandrake 10 OE will start to access my harddrive exessively every so often.

When I shut down/reboot I get some messages:

CPU#0 - Tempature above threshold.

CPU#1 - Tempature above threshold.

CPU#0 - Running in modulated clock mode.

CPU#1 - Running in modulated clock mode.

And that repeats. The longer I let it run, the longer those messages scroll.

Is this a serious problem? I don't want my processor to fry.

Check your cpu cooling fan. I'll bet it's either trash or the heat sink has enough dirt on it to plug a vacum cleaner! B)

I doubt its the fan or heat sink as the computer is only 4 months old.

This never happens in Window's either and I forgot to mention my LCD which is described in my manual "The computer is accessing your hard drive." comes on and stays on.

I'm now thinking it might be a run away process in a loop, but why would that cause it to alert me of an overheat?

BTW, its a laptop.. so checking these fans and everythings will be a full days work. :wall:

Thanks for the reply. :thumbs:

Edited by Mau

Its worth looking at the DMA for the hard drive,

it might be some conflict between optical device and HDD.

turning off DMA on one or both might help ?

i.e. look at the man page for hdparm

It might be DMA is done slighly differently in that kernel and a different kernel might allow it or you might have to turn it off (or put up with it)

the next time you experience the large amount of hard drive access run "top" in a terminal and let us know the top few programs in the list. these will, most likely, be what's doing all the hard drive accessing.

I started a simple application called "Crash Attack" which is a little addicting game.

After I closed the application (after 3-4 minutes) it started.

Here's the top four.

2440 root

2666 root

1144 root

3876 carl (thats me)

When powering down, I got the messages again. I started to feel all around my CPU for hot spots and I could find nothing. This happened when I left the CPU turn off for 12 hours, then turned it on for 10 minutes and then shut down. How can my computer get that hot in 10 minutes? Should I start using my computer in the artic now. :jester:

those are just th PID and the user, there should also be a name for the application listed if you look across...that's what I'm trying to find.

Ah ok. Will do that next time. I didn't want it to run to long, so I just jotted down something.

I'm re-installing Mandrake right now, so that might do something. (I decided I wanted a dual boot between XP and Linux)

I completely cleared my hard drive of anything and everything. 55GB of free space. :jester:

I have XP and Mandrake installed again, and I don't notice anything with my hard drive going crazy. Perhaps my install went wrong.

Edit - Oh, I also wanted to know if Mandrake will power down my BIOS sends the signal of an overheat. If that happens, I wont feel so worried of leaving it on for 3 hours straight when I'm away.

Edited by Mau