CPU Cooler

Guest billforce

Guest billforce

Does anyone know of a linux CPU cool program like VCool or CPUidle?

I have one PC running WinXP, AMD Duron 1.2 that operates at 28-30 deg.

My other PC running Duron 900 and Linux MDK 9 runs at 55 deg. My winXP system ran at 55 deg. before I installed Vcool, lowered the temp by 20 deg.

billforce

¨In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king!¨

I would love to have a program like that.  My cpu runs extremely hot as well (60+) and I would love to figure out how to make it cooler.  (I already have 7 fans in the case, not including the cpu fan)

7 FANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 1 cpu fan and 1 power supply fan and that's it

Hers is the ouput of 'sensors'

[root@localhost html]# sensors

w83782d-i2c-0-2d

Adapter: SMBus AMD756 adapter at 50e0

Algorithm: Non-I2C SMBus adapter

VCore 1: +1.74 V  (min =  +1.74 V, max =  +1.93 V)    ALARM

VCore 2: +2.48 V  (min =  +1.74 V, max =  +1.93 V)

+3.3V:  +3.16 V  (min =  +3.13 V, max =  +3.45 V)

+5V:    +4.86 V  (min =  +4.72 V, max =  +5.24 V)

+12V:  +12.31 V  (min = +10.79 V, max = +13.19 V)

-12V:  -11.98 V  (min = -13.21 V, max = -10.90 V)

-5V:    -5.10 V  (min =  -5.26 V, max =  -4.76 V)

V5SB:      +4.97 V  (min =  +4.72 V, max =  +5.24 V)

VBat:      +3.12 V  (min =  +2.40 V, max =  +3.60 V)

fan1:        0 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)

fan2:  15000 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)

fan3:        0 RPM  (min =  750 RPM, div = 8 )

temp1:    +37°C  (limit =  +60°C)                    sensor = thermistor

temp2:  +57.0°C  (limit =  +60°C, hysteresis =  +50°C) sensor = thermistor ALARM

temp3:    +209.5°C  (limit =  +60°C, hysteresis =  +50°C) sensor = PII/Celeron diode

vid:      +1.850 V

alarms:

beep_enable:

Sound alarm disabled

The cpu temp is 'temp2'. As you can see it display 57 but if I go in the Mobo I get 46-47. I have a Duron 1300 with THAT fan.

Where did you put all those fans?

I have one PC running WinXP, AMD Duron 1.2 that operates at 28-30 deg.

My other PC running Duron 900 and Linux MDK 9 runs at 55 deg. My winXP system ran at 55 deg. before I installed Vcool, lowered the temp by 20 deg.

Just kidding here since I've nothing intelligent to bring but you could try that --> http://www.handyscripts.co.uk/egg.asp

Regards

MOttS

Guest billforce

What in the H.... does 7 fans or case cooling have to do with my original question about software?

I suggest that viewers READ the post and respond accordingly!

billforce

"In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king!"

you're right billforce, it doesn't. If you read my first post in this thread, I was just as interested in the software that you mentioned. I happened to mention that I was running hot as well and have a lot of case fans, that's how we got off on this tangent about cooling.

My question for you is, what exactly does Vcool do that lowers your processor temp by that much? It would seem to me that if the processor was running at the same speed/cycles as it did before you installed Vcool, it would still be at the same temperature. I'm curious now.

Guest billforce

I had no intent to DIS anyone, just wanted an answer to a problem.

VCool is a CPU idle program that places the processor in a low speed cruise control mode when it is not asked to do a specific function. The result is an immediate lowering of the operating temp. of the cpu. One machine I have was lowered by 15 deg. C., the machine I am writing this on is an Athlon 1.2 gig on an Abit K7T raid board, VCool current CPU operating temp is 86 deg. F with an ambient temp of 73 deg. F., only two case fans, 1 in and 1 out. VCool is intended for AMD only.

Cheers!

billforce

"In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king!"

sounds like a good program. I just ran a little search and came up with a couple of alternatives (just like an article I read said, 1 program for Windows; many for Linux) that might work out for you. http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/linuxs...uxsm04.000.html Try these and see if one of them does what you are looking for. Let me know if it helps.

By the way, how are you seeing your cpu temp? The only way I know of is to reboot and look at what the bios temperature readings say.

By the way, how are you seeing your cpu temp? The only way I know of is to reboot and look at what the bios temperature readings say.

The answer is LM_SENSORS

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...light=lmsensors

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...light=lmsensors

Hope this help

MOttS

Guest billforce

LiquidZoo,

VCool continually displays 3 temps (ambient, case and cpu) as well as fan speeds in the taskbar. Appears to be accurate as it parallels the bios readings.

MOttS - I tried lm_sensors, but I am getting the same problem that many of the other posters on those threads are getting, it is only displaying the RAM and not the CPU temp or fan speed. After a check of the LM Sensors website, I found out that only my south bridge controller is supported right now (VIA VT8233), the north bridge chipset (VIA VT8366) is not listed as being supported. Oh well. Anyone know of another program that would do the same thing that supports the VT8366 chipset? I really like the idea of integrating it into GKrellm, if only I could get it to work.

Guest SunnyJim

What most of these CPU cooling programs do is call the HALT instructions built into modern CPUs. In Win9x and NT I used to use a similar program called CPUidle. You don't necessarily need one of these programs if your operating system already handles calls to these functions. You just need to enable it for your configuration.

I know that when I was using the BE operating system (BEOS) there was a kernel configuration text file that I could edit. I don't remember what the setting was called but by enabling it, the processor temp would drop by about as much as if I were using CPUidle in Windows.

That said, I don't know if there is a setting that would enable CPU cooling in Linux but I guess it really wouldn't surprise me if there were.

The reason you need a separate program to do the same thing in Windows is that Microsoft is reticent to allow users the opportunity to muck around with such settings.

--SunnyJim

I recently compiled my kernel and I've seen that option in 'make menuconfig'. It is called CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE and was enabled by default. Here is the HELP file related to this option:

Enable calls to APM CPU Idle/CPU Busy inside the kernel's idle loop.                                  On some machines, this can activate improved power savings, such as a slowed CPU clock rate, when the machine is idle. These idle calls are made after the idle loop has run for some length of time (e.g., 333 mS). On some machines, this will cause a hang at boot time or                                     whenever the CPU becomes idle. (On machines with more than one CPU, this option does nothing.)

I can be wrong here but those features are already all sets in Mandrake so we don't need to install anything like CPUidle.

MOttS