got the ISOs now what?

Guest montecarlo

Guest montecarlo

ok, i am pretty new to all this stuff. I downloaded v10.00 officail via torrent downloader, burned the isos in windows 2000 using Alchol 120%. now i have these three disc and i'm scared cause i tried this all once before with lycoris and suse both unsucessful, this time i am using a differnet system its older.

AMD 350

Motherboard-Unknown

Ram-384

cd-rom

currently has windows ME

like 2 or 3 gig hD

I know what i want to do with this thing, just not real sure how. This system using mandrake i want to be my server of my home network. Currently is just laptop and another desktop. catch i have to have this be wireless. i have not bought anything as far as wireless hardware because i am not real sure what will be compatable with Mandrake. this server will act as a firewall and share out internet access to all others on the network. the other 2 computers are windows systems (laptop has XP, desktop has 2000). I don't wanna change this yet because i use macromedia software and photoshop for web design. i want to be a able to set up a web server thru the linux server for personal use for checking out my designs and testing purposes. the first thing is what packages do i intstall? can all this be done (wireless networking)? when i get home after work i am going to start this process, do i need to format the drive first or does this installation do this correctly (unlike windows just installing over it?

i do thank you for any help that anyone provides i want this to be a learning expeirence for me i want to learn more about linux and how to use it correctly and eventually cut all ties with Microsoft. thanks again!

-Earle

If this is to be a learning experience for you there isn't much that can go wrong. If it does just try again. B)

Secondly, the Mandrake installer is very good. Just follow the instructions on screen and you'll find that there isn't much that will surprise you. Mandrake will pick the programs you need after you have chosen what kind of installation you want. But ofcourse, you can always install extra stuff when it's needed.

However, there is one thing that needs your attention. If you want to use X and a DE (GUI) on that machine I suggest you go not with KDE or GNOME. On the page where you have to choose what kind of installation you want, in the lower right hand corner, pick IceWM or something like that.

Good luck :)

Guest montecarlo
However, there is one thing that needs your attention. If you want to use X and a DE (GUI) on that machine I suggest you go not with KDE or GNOME. On the page where you have to choose what kind of installation you want, in the lower right hand corner, pick IceWM or something like that.

can i ask why is IceWM better?...or because of my sytem spec?

do i need to format the drive first or does this installation do this correctly

Hopefully, if I read this correctly, you are planning on wiping ME on this box. The installer will ask this at the beginning of the process on where you are installing and that it is a new install. The installer will later come to a point and ask you exactly which partitions you want formatted.

2-3 gigs will not be enough room for larger desktops --- like kde or gnome --- but should be enough to get you started for this project. I would choose the option for "individual package selection" and only choose what you know you will need --- add others later.

You should also have an idea of how you will partition this drive. Quickly, just off top of my head, I would say;

512 MB for /home (just enough for some docs and config files)

384 MB for /swap (equal to ram)

rest for / (root - where your apps and server stuff will go)

good luck :D