KDE & Gnome crash using Mandrake 10

Guest ericoi

Guest ericoi

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 and removed my RH9 installation. After installation I was able to log into KDE without any problems. I rebooted the machine to make sure everything would still work. When logging into KDE the animated screen stops at 42(?)%. The splash screen then disappers after a few minutes and I have to reboot my machine. When I try and log in using gnome, 2 large windows open up and then the screen turns purple. I am then forced to reboot again. I tried a few of the other window managers (window maker, enlightenment, blackbox, IceWM) and they all seem to work fine.

I started X logged in as root and KDE ran fine.

I have an NVidia FX5200 video card and have the latest driver installed. It doesn't seem to be a driver problem though since the other window managers can load and I can run KDE under root.

I've seen other people post similar problems on other forums with no solutions. Hopefully someone here can give me some insight.

I deleted the ~/.kde and ~/.gnome directories hoping that would work...but it didn't.

I also tried starting X from my username (not root) and got some errors about my .Xauthority file. I'm at work right now so I can't give the exact error (sorry).

Doubt that its a hardware problem but here is my system config:

Dual boot - w/ WindowsXP

CPU Pentium 4 2.4Ghz

Mem - 512MB

Graphics Card - NVidia FX5200

Sound Card - SBLive!(I think its some Dell version)

I hope this is enough information to get some help.

Thanks.

-Eric

Edited by ericoi

it hasn't even been 24 hours since your first post, give it time man...

you can download both OE and CE from the MandrakeLinux site. Which one did you download? You should be able to tell from the ISO names. Did you do an md5sum check on the ISO's? Did you try reburning them on different media and reinstalling?

Have you tried logging in as root, running mandrake control center, and then running mandrake update to see if there are any updates that fix the problem?

have you tried creating a new user and logging in with that user?

gnome isn't starting up because it appears it wasn't installed. those two terminals that start up are a sign of the "default" wm/de. i believe it's fvwm.

Guest ericoi

Impatience is a virtue.

I downloaded the OE version from the site.

I didn't do a md5sum check on the isos.

I'll try running mandrake update after work today.

I've tried creating new user accounts. I deleted all users, created new ones, still doesn't work.

I don't believe I've tried logging into gnome with root but I have started KDE with root and it ran fine.

If KDE (and/or Gnome) ran fine with root it sounds to be some type of permissions problem? no?

I made /tmp and /home/username open to the world. Didn't help

I guess I'll give this some more time before I switch over.

Thanks for the post.

Guest ericoi

I already deleted all .kde directories. I also deleted all of the user directories completely and then recreated them and it still didn't work. I changed the permission on /home (and subdirectories) to 777 still didn't work.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

If you didn't run the md5sum, and you inadvertantly installed with a bad download, there is nothing that any of us can do with bad data. Something in common to kde/gnome is messed up, and it doesn't seem to be x. (Do I sense Drake tools again?) Please md5sum the iso's. You computer spec are similar to mine, except I use amd and you use Intel. Actually, Mandrake should load best with intel. I have the same card and sound. (I like Mandy better than Red Hat or Fedora!)

you didn't by any chance set your security level to high, like "high" "higher" or "paranoid", did you? that could cause probs with regular users logging in. go to MCC->security->draksec & if your security level isn't set to "standard", set it to that, reboot.

Chris

Guest ericoi

I did a md5 checksum on the 3 isos. They are fine.

Checked the security level. Its set to standard.

I tried logging into gnome with root and a bunch of white windows with red X's popped up....no text at all though. I was able to close them even though they came up all funky. Couldn't do anything else though.

I tried installing other kde and gnome components...didn't help at all.

So far I'm not a big mandrake fan!

Maybe I'll trying reinstalling from scratch. I'm all out of ideas.

OK. If the iso's are good, then the next check is the speed that you burned them, or the quality of the media. I have a step-by-step proceedure when I encounter this sort of problem. If a specific issue is present, then I look at rpm's. If the issue is very generalized, I look at the installation, meaning many rpm's. This just seems like a bad install. So before I suggest reinstalling, I'm trying to figure out why it's bad. Iso's are good. Next is burn and/or media. I never burn faster than 12X, and I use name brand media, or media that I know is reliable. I have experienced both poor burns and poor media. (The cheap stuff on special at K-mart!)

Guest ericoi

I tried reinstalling last Mandrake last night. I first logged into KDE with my username. Everything worked fine. When I went to restart from KDE it froze with a black screen. I hit Cntrl-Alt-F1, logged in as root and then restarted from the command line. I then logged into gnome with my username and everything was fine. I logged out of gnome. I tried logging back into KDE and it froze like before at 82% or something. I then tried logging back into gnome and I got a bunch of screwed up windows like before. White windows with red warning X mark but no text at all. I hit Cntrl-Alt-F1 again and restarted....same thing.

This installation I didn't update the nvidia driver...just kept the default.

I installed all of the updates from the mandrake site.

I'm close to giving up at this point.

The cd'rs that I used were decent ones...TDK or something...don't have them in front of me right now...but they weren't some cheap k-mart ones! ha

I burnt the cds at 24X.

At installation I pick a ton of packages to install....between 2.5-3G...maybe I should start with the default.

Looks like I'll have to reinstall the OS everytime I want to log in.