Mysterious 4th disk

ImBatman

Hi

I am very new to Linux and was wondering if anyone can help? I use Mandrake 10 (CE upgraded to Official) I am trying to install an RPM and it has dependencies - no worries, I can use urpmi and it´ll take care of those.

However, when asked if it is okay to apply the packages, urpmi asks for the ¨4th disk.¨ Now I know that the original CE only had three disks, but there was supposedly going to be a 4th disk when the official release was put on FTP servers.

I have had a poke around the FTP sites that host the Offical release and there are still only three disks. So can anyone tell me where the mysterious 4th disk is?

And before anyone says pay up to Mandrake and you´ll get the 4th disk(?????) I have this to say. I am trying to prove that you specifically don have to do that and there is a way to replace the M$ world. I am logging my experiences and preparing a Website that exposes all my trials and tribulations. If software is floating around in Cyberspace that is dependent upon packages on a CD only available to those who pays, does this mean the end of the free world of Linux?

Perhaps it is time to ¨review¨ the GNU public license. These companies (and I realise there are others¨ got the original sources for the products they want to charge for free of charge. If I go and ¨aquire¨ enough parts to put together a dozen used cars, then sell them, the law would nab me for running a car racket. When it all boils down there is no difference.

Okay now that my rant is over can anyone help? After all this is a site for Mandrake users, not Mandrake payers.

The fourth disk is available to club members and powerpack owners only.

The RPMS on the 4th disk, however, are available to everyone. Head to http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi and add a 'main' source. Make sure when you do this that you go into your Sources manager (Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Software Sources Manager) and remove the entry for cd4. You can also remove the other cd's now if you want (ie. if you have a broadband connection) because all of the RPMS on those cd's are in the 'main' urpmi source.

While you're at urpmi.org, you may want to add a contrib and plf source as well to help out if RPM dependencies.

Hi, hoping for some more :help:

I try to navigate to:

Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Software Sources Manager

And the Packaging -> Software Sources Manager branch doesn exist. Also when I click on the Configuration tools on the ¨Welcome to Linux¨ dialog I get the following message:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/System/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist.

:oops: I think I´ve screwed somthing up. Can anybody point me in the direction to fix these two problems? Without a reinstall would be preferrable as I spent over a week getting my Cable connection configured and in the end a friend and I fixed it without really knowing how.

Do this:

As root in a terminal

urpmi.removemedia -a

and then go to http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi and follow their instructions for setting up sources from the web and then:

urpmi --auto --auto-select

If that doesn't fix it, try my script:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10447

you can run them from a terminal

/usr/bin/MandrakeUpdate
/usr/bin/drakrpm
/usr/bin/drakrpm-edit-media
/usr/bin/drakrpm-remove
/usr/bin/drakrpm-update
/usr/bin/edit-urpm-sources.pl
/usr/bin/gurpmi.addmedia
/usr/bin/rpmdrake
/usr/bin/rpmdrake-remove

You might be able to get to the Software Sources Manager through the Mandrake Control Centre - I think it's under the 'Software' tab? (I'm not sure, I can remember it when I see it though). anyway, there it should have Install Packages, Remove Packages and (hopefully) SSM.

Otherwise, it looks like you may have to get down and dirty with the command line ;)

EDIT: D'oh! Damn multitasking...

Edited by alexpank

Sorry if I appear obtuse but some of the stuff in the last few posts left me mystified. :furious3: I hate this crap - I can do practically anything using Windows and I really want to make the move to Linux - forever. But things in this world seem a bit confusing. By the way, thanks for your attempts to help me and I have been swapping between my user account and root to do this stuff.

Steve - I´ve already been to urpmi.org and carried out the 3 steps and run the scripts successfully, i s your recommendation to undo that? Or is it just ´cause I forgot to mention I did that part okay?

bvc - ?????? Can you tell me what that stuff is to fix?

alexpank - I don't appear to have a Software tab (well it´s a tree view) or anything like that and after expanding all the nodes there´s neither of the Packages or SSM.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

I was not aware you had done that already. Don't undo it. Open a terminal and type

update-menus

That should fix your menus if that's all that is wrong there. It will take a logout and login for it to show up correctly after you run that. Then open a terminal and type (anything in <<>> is just a comment or an action and you don't actually type it) :

su <<hit enter>>

<<type in your root password...you won't see it being typed..hit enter>>

urpmi --auto --auto-select

That should thoroughly update everything you already have installed. Then carry on with what you were doing.

bvc - ?????? Can you tell me what that stuff is to fix?

I was just stating that stuff can be run without 'Configure Your Computer' in a terminal like konsole, xterm, rxvt, ater, Eterm etc.....

su <hit Enter>

enter root password <hit Enter>

Thanks for the help so far. I now have it set up to refer to the web for that stuff

Oh bvc - how come when I ran all of those I got nothing - except that the command didn exist. Come to think of if, ever since i´ve installed, none of them appear to have existed. Is there are packages I am missing somehow?

Also the Software Config stuff doesn appear and when I click on the Configuration tools on the ¨Welcome to Linux¨ dialog I still get the following message:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/System/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist.