Dual-Boot with windows, no internet on linux

SwiftDeath

I am using Mandrake 10.0 Official Eiditon on my other computer which is dual booting with Windows XP.

On windows my computer can acess the internet ,but on linux it can't. I tried manually setting it up and everything.

I am using the default kernel that came with the installation, and I'm using cable behind a DI-614+ with the latest firmware upgrades. When on linux, I can't even type in the ip adress of the router and find it. I have no clue whats going on.

Can someone please give me a heads-up?

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

Edited by SwiftDeath

>>I tried manually setting it up and everything.

Except what works :)

Please see other "my network doesn't" threads here for the information we need from you - ifconfig output and more info on the physical network setup for example.

You probably only need to set the default gateway on the linux box to the IP address of the router, but we cannot be sure without more info...

Chris

Well. the first thing we need is specs of your computer, espeically your network card. Then we need to find out how you set it up, using drakconnect, dhcp or static ip, etc.

Anyway, most routers uses 192.168.1.1 for the router's IP. If you are using static IP, you may need to set up your computer IP into a 192.168.1.x for your IP and putting 192.168.1.1 for your gateway. You may also need to add DNS servers manually into the configuration just in case the linksys router doesn't do DNS caching, otherwise you can put linksys router's IP as DNS.

The gateway is set to the router. I just beleive that Windows is somehow interfering with the network device. I did type in those things in the console btw. And I set it up through the add connection wizard in the MCC.I have no firewall, and the internet works on my other 3 linux computers.

[root@dualbooter andrew]# ipconfig

bash: ipconfig: command not found

[root@dualbooter andrew]# iptables -nvL

bash: iptables: command not found

[root@dualbooter andrew]# route -n

Kernel IP routing table

Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

[root@dualbooter andrew]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.0.1

nameserver 192.168.0.2

nameserver 192.168.0.3

# ppp temp entry

[root@dualbooter andrew]#

Thanks for the help,

SwiftDeath

P.S. Keep up the good work :cheesy:

>>[root@dualbooter andrew]# ipconfig

That should be ifconfig - second letter is an F.

Please post again.

You don't have anything in your routing table, so I suspect your network card is not up. ifconfig will tell us that.

First thing to do is copy down all the network settings from the windows config - IP address, netmask, default gateway. As these work, they should be used on the Linux box.

The file you need to edit is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 - the entries should read :

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.20 # may be different on your PC
NETMASK=255.255.255.0 # may be different on your PC
NETWORK=192.168.0.0  # may be different on your PC
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255  # may be different on your PC
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

/etc/resolv.conf should have valid nameserver addresses - are you really running a nameserver on your network? If not, put the address of your ISPs nameserver (get it from windows) at the top.

The default gateway goes in /etc/sysconfig/network:

HOSTNAME=yourhostname_goes_here
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1 # may be different

Then type ifup eth0

Reboot if that doesn't work, try again and report back.

Chris

Edited by streeter