Confusion with kernel source

griptypethyne

I obtained Mandrake 9.2 disks a week ago and have made very good progress *excett* for my 586ep modem ( I know, I should buy an external modem).

After much research I discovered that I needed to install the kernel source. I located the files on the CD and installed them but still could not compile the driver.

After more digging I discoved that the kernel source was not included on the 9.2 CD. Therefore I need to find and download the source.

The kernel is 2.4.22-10mdk-i686-up-4GB

The only reference I could find to files of this type was on the cooker ftps. Problem is I assume that cooker is a linux program and as I do not have a woring moden under linuz I connect to the net via Windows. I tried clicking on the mirror links but received error messages.

So, my questions are:

(a) Where can I get the kernel source from, remembering that I connect to the net using Windows?

(B) Does the source go directly in /usr/src or in /usr/src/kernel-version?

© I have downloaded a linux-2.4.22 version but it is not identical. Would it be easier if I downloaded a version newer than 2.4, recompiled, and then compiled the driver?

(d) When I boot lilo list additional versions, obviously from source I have tried installing, but I do not understand how the entries got there. SElecting one of them resulted in another kernel being uncompressed.

Any h elp would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can download the kernel-source from Windows as long as you have access to your windows partitions from Mandrake.

Yes, you need the exact same kernel-source as your kernel version.

You can download it here: ftp://194.199.20.114/linux/Mandrake/9.2/i...-10mdk.i586.rpm

Just be aware that it's about a 40MB file, so it may take some time.

Once you have it downloaded and you boot back into Linux, you can install it from a console window as root by cd'ing to the folder you downloaded it to and typing

rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

To be root in your console, first open one up. Then type:

su <enter>

<enter your root password and press enter>

Thanks for the quick reply. I started downloading the file but then killed it when I realised that it was 586 not 686. I am sure that I wrote the name down correctly but I suppose that Ishould boot linux and check.

I had a look through the directories on the site and I could not see any 686 files.

ncurses-devel (as well as most of your other packages that you may need) is located on your 9.2 cd's. I think it's on CD1, but it might be 3

Just su to root in a console and issue the command

urpmi ncurses-devel

and it will install everything for you.

:D

ncurses-devel installed.

The kernel installed.

The 536ep driver compiled and installed.

I went to Mandrake and looked at the hardware. The modem was no longer classed as an unknown device with an unknown module. It is now classed as a modem but the information window is blank.

But......I cannot find the program that sets up my internet connection and allows me to test the modem. I thought it was on the menu but it is not there. I tried kppp in a terminal but received a command not found message.

urpmi kdenetwork-kppp

urpmf kppp

will tell you what pkg kppp is in.

:D

Thanks. I installed kppp and ran it from a terminal. The modem still does not work but I know that there are 536ep threads, so it is better if I take the discussion there.

Before I end this thread one last question - how do I run the gui version of kppp or is that a different program?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I can now connect and logon to my ISP from Linux.

I had hoped to send this success message from Linux but once I am logged on nothing happens. Not to worry, solving that should be a minor issue compared with compiling and installing a driver!

I found that the modem worked after I had re-booted linux. I thought that it was only Windows that required a boot after changes ;)

Many thanks for your help. I have made more progress in the past few hours than in the past few days. I am well on the way to becoming MS free. Sorting out the driver problem has forced me to get stuck in and learn linux.