What IDE is best for Fortran?

I'm developing a Fortran program (don't ask why it has to be be Fortran), and it works fine, compiling with g77 and debugging with gdb.

I tried using KDevelop. It makes the example "hello world" Fortran program fine. However, when I tried it out on my code, I manage to configure and make everything ok, but as soon as I try to compile, KDevelop crashes and closes its windows down.

So as a less ambitious option I tried Kdbg which just refuses to load the executable. It gave an untillegible error message. Tonight I got all the latest updates and tried it again. Now it just freezes and has to be killed.

I tried downloading Force2.0 which is a windows program - an IDE based on g77, gdB, a redhat gui based symbolic debugger. That works perfectly. I don't want to be forced to use linux tools under windows.

So can anyone tell me what stable Fortran IDEs orgui based debuggers there are that I could try under Mandrake 10.0?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

To be honest I've never come across any (my work involves me coding in Fortran), I find using emacs with the fortran mode is usually good enough for anything I want to do. BTW g77 is a terrible fortran compiler - I use the intel one for non-commercial stuff.

• 3 years later...
To be honest I've never come across any (my work involves me coding in Fortran), I find using emacs with the fortran mode is usually good enough for anything I want to do. BTW g77 is a terrible fortran compiler - I use the intel one for non-commercial stuff.

In what way is g77 (or f77 as I think they are the same) a "terrible" compiler? I have been programming in fortran for years and would be interested in your opinion since I have never really heard of a comment qualifying the quality of a compiler. An IDE yes, a compiler not really.

So, I am honestly curious.

Thanks

BTW, I used f77, g77, and now gfortran with vi / vim / gvim.

I am still trying to figure out how to use Kdevelop with fortran.

I've never used Fortran with linux, but I use Eclipse as my java IDE and it's really impressive.

Apparently you can add Fortran support for Eclipse in a similar way to how C++ is added - in fact it uses the cdt as well.

http://www.eclipse.org/photran/

Photran is an IDE for Fortran 77, 90, and 95 based on Eclipse and the CDT.

Like I said I've never used Photran but it might be worth a look.