logging in as root?

Is there a way to configure the login screen so I can login as root? I have another user account and that is the only one that comes up upon boot up. I need to modify a couple of files and obviously I don't have permission under the other user's account. ALso, is Kedit a command I can use to modify files in Mandrake? Thank you.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Yes there is but its highly not recommanded to do which is why its not an option. Log on as your user, open a terminal and type su -, then the root password when asked. Anything you then open or do from that terminal will be done as root.

To edit files from the terminal you can use vi, nano, pico, joe. vi is installed by default the rest will have to be installed.

it is an option and should be IF linux is about choice even if that choice is to run as root! :P

Open a terminal>su to root> and run;

kcontrol

go to "Login Manager"? and Users tab?

----something like that-----

and I believe you uncheck (but maybe check) root (just undo what is already chosen)

Screw the anti-Linux/Choice BS ;)

yes, you can use kwrite (case sensitive) from a terminal as root. kate is much better though :D

There's no need to login as root to modify a few files. If you don't like editing from the command line using vi or some other command line text editor and prefer graphical text editors like kedit or kwrite, just open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# kedit

Kedit will fire up with root privileges. Just navigate to the files you want to edit and have at it. This is a lot easier than logging in and out as root IMHO.

Note, I think in mdk 10, kedit is not installed by default. It uses kwrite instead as the default text editor. If your using mdk10 just launch kwrite from the terminal as root instead of kedit.

Edited by pmpatrick

OK, Thanks guys! I am able to manuever much better now... What I need to edit is /etc/rc.local so programs automatically start upon booting into an account. I want Firefox 0.8 to start and be displayed right away upon the boot up. I edited the last line int /etc/rc.local and added these lines at the end based upon the directions in the table of contents thread:

su - ramfree17 -c /home/student/firefox

tmpwatch -fa 120 /tmp

And it's not quite doing what I want to... What am I doing wrong?

no need to put it in a file. Especially one that is run b4 X and is for root stuff....just save your session as a user. There's a setting in kcontrol somewhere to do that auto at logout. Or, use the ~/.kde/Autostart directory.

Edited by bvc

it is an option and should be IF linux is about choice even if that choice is to run as root! :P

It is about choice and options but there ares good choices and then there's risky ones. Logging on and even worse running as root is dangerous in my opinion.

Just because an option exists or something can be done doesn't mean one should do it. :screwy:

edited by anon.