Looking for a good file converter

kmc77

I have some old home VHS tapes that I transfered to AVI in windows last year, I want to burn them to VCD, but of course they have to be in MPEG format. I've tried one conversion app, with no luck (can't remember the name). Can anyone suggest a good converter?

Looks like exactly what I need, unfortunately, I'm realtively new at this (Linux/scripts), and am unsure how to:

1. Save the script

2. Use the script.

I have installed all of the necessary apps. I just need to figure out how to procede.

Can someone explain the process to me, or direct me to a post that might help?

Edited by kmc77

Right-click the link to the script on that page and 'Save Link Targer As' or something like that. Watch where you save it to. Open a console and cd to the directory you saved it to, then do:

chmod +x name-of-script

./name-of-script --help

that will usually give you helpful info. It's probably

./name-of-script mymovie.avi

Thanks Steve. That did the trick. But it seems like everytime I get an answer to one question, another pops up.

The above mentioned script converts the avi file into .m1v(video) and .mpa(audio) files. How do I combine these two to be burned. I am using K3B right now, and I can only burn the video file. Is there another app needed to combine the two, or is there a better burning app, that will do that durring the burn?

Sorry cant help much with the new question but avidemux is quiote a versatile front end for mencoder which allows many input/output options not to mention being able to combine files, clip them etc..

I dont really know enough about the formats to know how they should be burned (for VCD) but if you find out how they should and put the link Ill try and help you with it.