KPPP

spider200

I am trying to configure my KPPP to fit my ISP because they like most other ISP's don't offer support for linux. I chose the modem specified in KPPP and the computer read the modem supposedly but when the dialog boxes appeared no information was present in the boxes so i thought maybe i chose the wrong modem but i am not sure. Also could someone please explain what login script is and how do i know if my ISP uses it and how to create it for KPPP?????

gracias

the 2 biggest factors are

1. of course- the right modem

2. is your isp pap or chap?

Get those 2 right and kppp should connect privided your driver/config/setup is correct. What modem?

Edited by bvc

What ISP are you using?

They usually have a help page for this sort of thing. (which we can check out for you if you cannot get on line)

Even if they 'do not support Linux' the information is usually there.

Also what make/model/type of modem - external serial, USB, internal PCI, AMR winmodem etc...

Kppp does not usually need a script - few settings need changing usually.

You can also choose the option pap/chap which will try both types of authentication.

If you get results from the query modem button, then your modem is probably OK.

Clicking the log button when dialling will open a log window that may give you a clue as well (post output here)

Chris

first, iwould like to thank everyone for the help. I am using intergate as my ISP, simply www.intergate.com. The dialog box appears when i choose the modem, which has to be the right one since none of the others work, but when the dialog box appears no information is displayed, just empty boxes ??

gracias

Hi

Not entirely sure what you mean - could you run us through exactly what you are doing, and which dialogue is empty?

If you mean the query modem dialogue, this means your modem is not responding to your (ATI commands) request. This could be a driver problem, or you have chosen the wrong device, faulty cable, or many other things.

I repeat my last post - we need to know what type of modem you are using - they are not all compatible with Linux. Have you connected with another Linux distribution on this PC before?

Also, what modem device are you choosing - /dev/modem, /dev/ttyS0 or something else??

What is the output of the command ls -l /dev/modem ?

This information is important - without it we cannot help, only guess :)

Once you can communicate with your modem, everything you need is on the intergate website - I looked. We are very happy to help with this, but we do need a bit more information...

Chris

Me again

If you are using a serial modem, what port is it on - /dev/ttyS0 (serial port 1 on Windows), /dev/ttyS1, /dev/ttyS2 etc...

How are you connecting at the moment? If you are using Windows on the same machine you have installed Linux on, you can get all the information we need from the control panel.

Chris

hello, yes it is the query modem dialogue coming up empty and my modem is a 56k PCI data fax modem, probably for windows because that what was initially on the computer when i bought it but later removed to install linux mandrake which is most likely the problem ???? also i am selecting /dev/ttyS0 on the menu in KPPP which is the only setting that reads the modem, the others simply say modem busy or not present or some shit.

gracias

You still haven't posted all the information we asked for...

However, this is probably your problem (very common):

Many (most?) internal PCI modems do not have a built-in controller chip - they rely on the operating system (windows) to do much of the work for them in software. Some PCI cards have a controller, but it doesn't look like you have one of these.

We refer to them as winmodems, and as most modem manufacturers do not write drivers for Linux, or release detailed specifications so that Linux programmers can write them for us, your modem may not be supported.

Having said that, I am at this moment using such a modem under Linux...

So, if you can find out the make and model of your modem, we may be able to help.

You can probably find this out by looking at the card inside the computer - look at what is printed on the board and chips. Also type lspci at a command prompt - this will list some info about all your PCI cards. Or check under windows if it is still installed. If you give us this information, somebody may even say "I have one of those - use this driver".

***Post results here***

There are many websites dedicated to winmodems - just type winmodem into Google, and you will get howtos and sites galore, but don't expect it to be too easy - you will almost certainly have to compile the driver yourself, once you have determined the correct one. This means you will need configured and probably compiled kernel source for the version you are using.

The easiest solution is to get an external serial modem (try ebay) - you can (almost) guarantee this will work on Linux.

Chris

You have a Broadcom 4212 controllerless winmodem

All of my last post applies - don't expect it to be easy, and you would probably still be better off with a proper external modem, but I had a quick search on Google for the chip number, and it appears that Dell have written a driver for it - you can download the source for it here:

http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/d...p?fileid=R47114

Note: I do not have this modem, and have never compiled this driver, so do not know how easy it is, nor how well it works. The instructions should be in the package readme when you untar/unzip it.

It says RedHat compatible, but the source should be OK with Mandrake, though you may have problems if you are using kernel 2.6.x

Again - you would probably be better off with an external serial modem.

Chris

US Robotics 5686 External

I have one and it's great! The driver is in the kernel (or use to be not long ago) so there's no driver install, though USR has an rpm if you want and I believe it's on the cd that comes with it but I never used it. I d/k if they have one now for the 2.6 kernel. 1.5 years ago I paid $100 US for it but lately it's down to around $60 US.

Edited by bvc