Michael Robertson: message to Bill Gates

Darkelve

Okay, since I'm a Linspire Lifetime member , I get these things in my mailbox. However, this one really struck a chord with me:

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_michaelsminutes.php

Of course, one cannot discount self-interest on Robertson's part, but boy does he have a way with words...

Well at least he never denies self interest!

To re-energize desktop Linux in Benelux, Lindows is making its latest version of Linspire available for free via BitTorrent for a limited time using the coupon code linspire4benelux. For complete instructions on receiving this special offer, please visit www.linspire.com/p2p-mm.

don't knock it till you try it folks!

All those I want an easy OS people should try it....

No you dont need to run as root ! thats FUD!

Well, the running as root, it's still not ideal, IMHO. But at least they LISTENED to their customers. You'd almost think they weren't a software company ;) And as a result the situation is better now.

I think M. Robertson is the right man for the job here; I think he's actually a nice guy but knows in running a business there are no Mr. nice guys. And he seems to love hype unline anything else.

But they seem to be working until... forever before Linspire 5.0 comes out though!

Gowator, you wouldn't happen to know about a development timeline for 5.0?

Edited by Darkelve

Nah but I guess it'll be on the site.

I dont see any prob with the root thing, it took me about 20 secs to create a new user and then it just works under the kdm login!

People bash it for being easy and then bash it for making simplifications... like Win98 is protected or the default password for XP isn't administrator!!! LOL !

(well its administrateur here!)

I'd rather have commerical easy 'dumb' distro's like this than them dumb down the other distro's !!!

Technically, isn't Lindows a dumbed-down Debian-version? :unsure:

It -was-, as the click-n-run used to be apt-get on the backend, but that changed a version or two ago I believe.

Yep you can still use deb's BUT it defeats the object.

As it is its a very dumbed down debian and if you only use click 'n' run its probably pretty damned hard to break or screw up!

Its about the only linux distro my mum could use!

but if you use their config tools and their click 'n' run its pretty OK if you dont wanna mess (which is why its on my laptop).

Michael is very persistent, and he is actively seeking marketing channels for desktop Linux (thru supermarket chain, "bundle" image on shipping Segate hard-drive by default, etc.). While I may not like the distro, I must admit he's truly behind it, unlike other vendors who danced around the idea, or keeping a low profile on it. I tend to believe Lindows and SuSE will make great stride in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest caudell

I have MDK 10.0 Official on one partition and Linspire 4.5 on another. Linspire is not as configurable as Mandrake. However, everything on Linspire works. If you know something about Linux (I don't know a lot, but do know some) then you can configure Linspire more than the average user. You can install Kpackage on Linspire and Mozilla automatically brings up Kpackage and installs the package when you download a package. The problem is that Kpackage doesn't "apt-get" depends.

Robertson is doing those packages which will bring average PC users to LInux. Even MDK is now offering Nvu to members. I have Lphoto and Lsongs installed and they are a plus. All in all I like Linspire and look forward to version 5.0 which is due out soon.

Anyone interested in Lycoris' new version? They will use Bitstream btX2 instead of freetype. I think the average PC user will find this a plus since font rendering is still a weak point with Linux as compared to Mac and M$.

java script:emoticon(':D')

if you add the /etc/apt/sources.list then linspire will do depends :D

however its not really made to be configured....

IMHO... if you wanna play about your much better starting from Mandrake... but yep everything works.... its brilliant for that.

if its in the warehouse then it will install and run...

I always worry if I play about too much that Ill break it or at least not everything will fit together so nicely...

With mandrake its usually fixable wheras linspire makes me feel if i break it that it will be a pain to fix and probably a reinstall.

I installed Lphoto on my deb box... its cool.. very cool.