help with superkaramba theme

Sherpa

did i mention when i go to a terminal and type superkaramba, it says that it cannot be found? th only way i can start it is to cd to that directory, or go and click on the icon itself

it seems as though the whole directory /usr/local/kde

is filled only with superkaramba stuff, i think the installer puts it all in the wrong dirs

ok i got liquid weather working with this superkaramba, so it must be .33, since i could not get it to work with the other one.... but now there is a slight problem.....(see pic below)

it kinda sticks through all the other apps, is this a issue with superkaramba, or liquid weather?

one more thing, i noticed that when i restarted kde that the superkaramba themes disappeared when it restarted, is there a way to have them start up when kde does?

post-10-1086183744.ibf

Edited by Sherpa

ok.....your first question. i installed superkaramba via a rpm. that's the default directory it installed to......... /usr/share/apps/superkaramba. maybe the compile installs it differently. not sure. if you're curious, in terminal, as root, type.........

find / -name superkaramba

it might take a little while, but that will show all instances of superkaramba on your computer.

question 2........... you can have superkaramba start 2 ways (if you're using KDE. for another DE, i'm sure you can, but since i use KDE, that's the method i'll give you).

method 1 (dirty way)......... open Kontrol Center->components->session manager. check "restore previous session"->apply. that way, if superkaramba is running when you shutdown/restart it will automatically run next time you start KDE.

method 2 (slightly longer GUI method, but cleaner).............. open konqueror file manger. navigate to /home/(you)/.kde/Autostart (note, /.kde is hidden, so you must have hidden view enabled). click edit->create new->link to application. name it under the general tab, make the execute command point to /your/path/tosuperkaramba/nameof.theme->ok. if you do that, you don't need the restore previous session method to run it because you've just added a symlink to it in the KDE Autostart directory, which will run superkaramba upon KDE start up.

method 2.1 (not quite as long CLI method, but more proper)................. open a terminal. as normal user cd to the KDE Autostart directory (cd /.kde/Autostart)-> type the following..... ln -s /your/path/tosuperkaramba/nameof.them->enter. you now just created a symlink to the theme to start automatically.

Chris

ah. that problem. ok, here's the scoop. alot of superkaramba precompiled packages have a workaround for that built into them. the source files for it still don't, apparently. 2 options........ and you probably don't want to hear either of them..............

uninstall superkaramba & reinstall via a MDK precompiled rpm. i'm using cooker version 0.32b-2mdk & i don't have the always on top problem. but, i see there's a version 0.33-2mdk in cooker right now with a patch for that problem built in too.

(note: i found the following info by Googling HERE)

uninstall superkaramba, & before you compile, unpack the .tar file & use a text editor to open the karamba.cpp file contained therein. look for a line in that file that says..........

KWin::setType(winId(), NET::Dock);

and change it to read..............

// KWin::setType(winId(), NET::Dock);

save it, then compile.

Chris

Edited by chris z

yup. then, use the find / -name superkaramba command to locate any risiduals (there will be some) & delete them.

Chris

Edited by chris z

do all themes crash it, or just liquid weather? if it's just liquid weather, then i'd blame that theme & say just use something else, or you could look at the *.theme file for it & see if anything looks funky there. (like a pointer to an image that don't exist, a bad command to a sensor, etc.) if it's happening with all themes, then which method did you use this time to install superkaramba, RPM or compile with the "on top" hack? if the second scenerio applies, then i'd suggest trying the opposite install method. IE:, if you compiled try the RPM & vice versa.

Chris

• 11 months later...
Guest ancienthart
mod note: split form here by tyme

ok i downloaded

this theme http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6384

but when i tell superkaramba to open it, it gives me this

[david@localhost david]$ superkaramba

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>

Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

I'm starting to get really suspicious that a lot of python problems are caused by import site failing.

Try the following command:

python -v

Joal Heagney