SCO

kaiocool

Hey, I am here to learn, can someone explain to me this SCO/IBM/LINUX thing that is going on. Does SCO have a valid point, or are they chasing like the people who said they invented the hyperlink( or did they win that argument). Anyway, sounds really stupid, I want to hear your thoughts on it.

Read Groklaw.

http://www.groklaw.net/

Well, my over-simplified summary is that SCO and its backer such as Microsoft cannot beat Linux on cost or technical merit, so instead they resort to opportunistic legal strategy and try to sue Linux backer and user such as IBM and Autozone to slow it down or cash in from stock speculation. So far, SCO has been inconsistent in its claim, some time SCO said it's a trade-secret issue, and then withdrew this claim and turned it into a contract issue, and then a copyright infringement issue.

IBM now has asked for a partial summary judgment that there's no copyright infringement at all for its contribution to Linux. We shall see how Judge Wells will decide the case in the coming months.

Edited by zero0w

I think Microsoft wants to slow down Linux anyhow.

Never has Microsoft met a rival product that is so prevalent (working on many devices and hence capturing embedded market), and yet it can't steal or hurt it financially because the chief developer is not after profit, and GPL made any stolen derivative (which Microsoft has done to Stacker, OS/2, Softimage and a few other cases) useless and risky if it has to give the modified code back.