Linux shouldn't be more user-friendly

Urza9814

Off-topic: Gowator, I meant I prefer Peugeot WRC team to Citroen WRC...there are no Finnish drivers driving Citroen WRC, that's the reason...

EDIT: And your idea of distro classification is considerable, maybe we should continue with rally terms (grouping): junior distros, N group distros and finally WRC distros?

ramfree17: I agree with Sacha, who wrote the post you kindly linked to this forum. Like he said, user friendliness depends on taste and experience you've from different OS's and programs. If I had started my computing career with UNIX my idea of user friendliness would be different. My view is (still) a common user view, which Sasha desbribed as "typical user (friendliness)", or maybe a spoiled windows guy would be better. Of course CLI gurus (guru user) with numerous shortcuts feel buttons, menus and other "aids" as nonsense and extra burden. So, both styles are user friendly, but I think the topic starter meant Linux generally shouldn't have more "typical user (friendy)" features. Other words topic starter meant: please stop Linux looking more like Windows...

I don't care how things are done as long as I get them done. Then I may look other ways to do my chores. It's like you'd be in kitchen: first some basic things and little by little towards gourmet. I have made my choices and the next move from me is to learn more console tricks. But if I would have been thrown to the CLI world about 7 months ago, my career with Linux would have been very short. Learning curve (as previously mentioned) is a block you can't overcome in one day. And that's why "typical user friendliness" (or mambo jambo :|) is needed to build "a bridge over troubled water".

Edited by Huerzo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic