Kernel compile for complete idiots

Guest moift

Guest moift

One more thing then I promise I'll leave you nice people alone for a couple days.

I'm running a laptop with an ATI Radeon card. I'm missing a lot of features and hardware acceleration, so I downloaded the drivers from ATI.. but, they will not install unless I compile a kernel specifically for my computer (Mandrake 10.0)

I've done a lot of googling but I can't really find anything that's both helpful and near my level of understanding.

If anyone could point me towards a good noob faq/walkthrough for kernel makin', that'd be great.

Mod note:moved from software by phunni

Edited by phunni

If you take a look at this then you will have a pretty good guide.

Remember that if you use the mandrake sources and config, then you won't have to change much except that which is required for your drivers - and you'll have a working kernel.

Don;t forget that, as long as you keep your old kernel installed, this is pretty safe. You can create the worst, most non-bootable (if that's psossible) kernel and still boot back into your original one

This means that it's safe to experiment - and you can learn a huge amount if you do! Don't be put off by some of the language in the config - it's not as bad as it looks

Guest miketigerwoods

I think you have it backwards...the ATI drivers might require you to compile the drivers based on your kernel.

Do this by (as root):

cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

./make.sh

cd ..

./make_install.sh

The big question is what ATI card do you have?

I have a ATI Mobility M6 LY (32mb). The fglrx do not work with this old card. I have had a hard time gettings DRI to work until I compiled everything into the kernel (2.6 only).

I went from 515FPS in a 2.4 kernel to a 630FPS with it built into the kernel. :D