Which kernel is better?

the latter is newer, sort of. It probably contains mandrake-specific fixes, but the actual kernel is the same version. Basically, with rpm's the number of that the - is a release number for the rpm. This doesn't mean the kernel is a new kernel, it's just a newer packaging of the same kernel (I really don't know of a better way to explain it).

The former kernel is optimized for i686 processors, is for a single processor system, and can handle up to 4GB of ram.

• 3 weeks later...

Bascially unless you have a good reason or just want to play/learn stick with the defaults....

2.4->2.6 is a big deal but incremental versions are ot really going to do anything unless it specifically fixes something for your hardware!

Ive found problems using interim MDK kernels in that the kernel-source doesnt match the kernel. 90% of the time this doesnt matter but for non-GPL drivers it does becuase they need to fit exactly with the 'hooks' left by the kernel compile which are described in the kernel headers.

If you REALLY want to learn then a vanilla kernel you patch and configure yourself is the way to go!

the latter is newer, sort of. It probably contains mandrake-specific fixes, but the actual kernel is the same version. Basically, with rpm's the number of that the - is a release number for the rpm. This doesn't mean the kernel is a new kernel, it's just a newer packaging of the same kernel (I really don't know of a better way to explain it).

The release number (number after the dash) indicates changes to the RPM package as itself, not necessarily to the pristine source inside it.