How to set up network printer?

PPPP

I've just installed the Official version of MDK 10.0. I went to Printerdrake and selected "Auto-detect printers connected to machines running Microsoft Windows". It said "No printer found". I then tried to turn on the Expert Mode option before I tried to add a new printer. I'm not sure what to put for "SMB server host", "SMB server IP", "Share name", "User name", "Password", "Workgroup".

I've posted this on another forum and this is the reply I got:

SMB server host=computer name

SMB server IP= 192.168.0.*

Share name= teh name of the printer under printers in windows.

User name= the login name for the win machine

Password=password of win user

Workgroup= in windows usually MSHOME.

but i'm not sure about the following:

SMB server host: would that be the computer i'm on or the windows computer?

SMB serer IP:do I enter as you've written or the ip of the computer that's connected to the printer?

Username:what if there's no login to the win machine?

Thanks in advace :D

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

For share name, it doesn't hurt to put it in.

For username and password, well that depends on the settings in the windows machine itself. If the printer is shared without the need for access (ala win 98) then no. If it is shared with the need of access (ala Windows 2000, XP), you may need to put your username and password of your account in Windows in order to print.

Could you explain a bit of your setup first. Like:

1. What kind of Printer?

2. What kind of MS Windows is the printer connected to?

3. Is all the networking setup properly? I mean, can the linux machine ping to windows machine and vice versa?

4. Is samba enabled on the Linux machine? Does it have the same Workgroup as the windows machine?

5. If you type smb:/// in Konqueror Location field, does it detect the Windows File / Print Sharing system?

6. Is the printer in Windows shared already? Can other windows machine connect to it?

Could you explain a bit of your setup first. Like:

1. What kind of Printer?

2. What kind of MS Windows is the printer connected to?

3. Is all the networking setup properly? I mean, can the linux machine ping to windows machine and vice versa?

4. Is samba enabled on the Linux machine? Does it have the same Workgroup as the windows machine?

5. If you type smb:/// in Konqueror Location field, does it detect the Windows File / Print Sharing system?

6. Is the printer in Windows shared already? Can other windows machine connect to it?

1. an old HP Lasertjet 4P

2. Win XP Pro

3.I think so. I just did a "ping 192.168.1.101 and I got the following

--- 192.168.1.101 ping statistics ---

24 packets transmitted, 24 received, 0% packet loss, time 23023ms

4. I'm not sure about this. How do I check?

5. I'm using gnome. I don't think I have konqueror but I tried it with Epiphany and I got "smb is not a registered protocol"

6. Yes the printer is shared already. I printed from another Windows machine before.

First, I've never had great success auto-detecting printers, but you do have to configure Cups. In Printerdrake make sure you use the tab "configured on other machines" and also make sure you configure Cups. Have you configured Samba and can you connect to the Win XP machine? (run smbclient -L "win machine name" as root).

If you run smbclient as above as root (with the name of your Win machine) it should show your printer as one of the shares. If it does the problem is with Cups and if it doesn't the problem is with Samba.

To check the workgroup you can enter localhost:901 in the URL field of your browser for the Samba admin program or use the Samba server wizard in MCC (make sure you have installed drakwizard, it's not done by default).

Cups can also be configured using localhost:631 in the URL field.

@polemicz:

I tried run smbclient -L but I got" Connection to localhost. failed"

when I tried to enter localhost:901, mozilla will try to search that through google. So I guess Samba isn't configred? localhost:631 gets me to the CUPS page.

Thanks.