Mandrake 10 Installation Problems

Manugal

Hi. :headbang:

I've an ASUS A7V8X with Promise FastTrack 376 controller. I've a RAID 0 configuration with two 80GB Maxtor (one of these is Parallel ATA). The setup, after it detect the controller, give me a similar message:

"I can't continue the installation on your sda, because your partition is too corrupt. MrDrakeX will try to rebuild all bad partitions (ALL DATA WILL BE MISSING). Accept this condition?"

If I click "No" I take a message like "There's no needed space". If I click "Yes" I see a single hard disk without any partition :wall::wall:

Why it does it? :help: Thanks and excuse me for my not perfect english

Try hitting F1 at the splash, type expert, and then do custom partitioning when the time comes. See if there is any difference.

Let's try another approach. What is installed now on your computer? How is it currently partitioned? How do you back up your data?

OK...

Firstly the RAID 0 is as it says zero. It creates a stripe which is the sum of the two physical disks but offers no protection or performance.

i found this :http://www.linuxcompatible.org/cdetail11100.html

What you need to work out is how these are stored/created in XP and if you actually want/need them or gain anything from them.

Linux has a virtual filesystem anyway which is partly what RAID 0 gives to Windows... It prevents you having a C: D: E: etc. if you want it to appear as any big drive but in linux you have / which can contain as many mounted partitions as you like although files must stay wholly in one or another.

sharing a raid array for OS is not a good idea (since the meta definitions tend to be OS dependant) , only for data like you have lots of big files.

try thinking of the raid controller as a half controller, its like a winmodem or winprinter. it delgates the work to the OS.

I once had a crappy SCSI card came with a scanner which only worked in wodows becuase it wasnt a full hw solution. even in windows the mouse used to freeze when scanning...

when I used a REAL HW card AHO2940 this disappeared.

cheap 1/2 HW 1/2 SW RAID devices are currently popular :D but its mainly a fad on mobo's and they are causing a lot of probs for new linux users. I guess youd have the same prob if you wanted to dual boot win98 and XP but thats another story :D

I just posted a bit more detail on this. (see post you are not alone!)

I dont know YOUR controller ....

I did see a possibility of a driver.

The next question is I guess do you want to keep XP... does it need to continue with RAID 0 ?

Can you back the data up in XP.... can you use any way to get the data onto a single disk and remove the RAID stripe in XP first....

I think the reason its failing is becuase its not reading a partition its altered for the Windows Raid driver.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefin...i214332,00.html

I think you can use RAID 0 but not the same RAID 0 in linux and Win.

Your performance increase is becuase you are using two controllers (SATA and IDE) so the requests can be channeled through the least busy, I doubt its the driver.

If you wanna use linux exclusively (I do) then you can use the linux RAID. (I do and I have two 80GB maxtors :D but in RAID 1)

Mix and match will be difficult I think....

I might be wrong your controller might be supported somewhere. but even then remember your locking your data into that controller, if it fails you need another mobo with the same one!

In fact the performance increase don't depend by drivers.

But I think it's strange which Linux Mandrake 10.0 with Kernel 2.6.3 doesn't support my controller. Straight in the setup it install drivers but after give me that message.

Edited by Manugal

Real hardware is fully supported in Mandrake because the os communicates with the hardware controller. But there is a lot of "hardware" on the market that does not have a controller. This is "sort of" hardware, and the windows driver actually controls it. Out side of windows, this product does not exist as a piece of hardware. Many printers, scanners, modems, and now raid controllers are all made this way because it makes them cheaper to produce but it traps the user in windows. It is not that linux can't talk. it's the hardware that doesn't think! B)