Mandrake 10 Installation Problems

Manugal

In fact the performance increase don't depend by drivers.

But I think it's strange which Linux Mandrake 10.0 with Kernel 2.6.3 doesn't support my controller. Straight in the setup it install drivers but after give me that message.

I might be wrong your controller might be supported somewhere.

Dont give up. I dont have your controller.

It might be possioble so long as its not a semi-HW device.

What driver is it trying to load, it might just be the SATA chipset driver. Thats not the same thing ass the RAID driver....

We will help all we can but remember we dont have your hardware (and we are not mandrake)

so bear with us and try and give as much info as you can.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FunkierThanU

I've seen an aweful lot of questions trying to get SATA RAID 0 to work.

I have a Chaintech VNF3-250 motherboard w/ an AMD 64 3200, and 2 74gb Western Digital SATA drives. The motherboard does have a built in SATA RAID controller.

It sounds like the it's nVidia, but I'm still trying to track down the specifics of the controller. Chaintech's website says:

"On-board SATA RAID Controller

* Build-in nForce3 250 supports 2 Serial ATA devices for the highest data transfer rates (1.5Gbps burst) with RAID 0/1 solution"

I haven't tried to do this install yet. I only just received my 2nd SATA drive and was doing a little research first. I've got 10.0 for AMD 64, obviously, and currently have it installed and running like a champ in the machine on an IDE drive, but am going to remove it.

The only particularly interesting point I've read on people have success with SATA Raid 0 occured after they changed a settings in their BIOS in particular disabling APIC function.

I don't think arguing the merits of what someone is trying to do is particularly constructive. I'm looking for advice get Mandrake to see the RAID as a single available slab, not reasons why RAIDs don't make sense.

:headbang:

The most reliable way to do this is just to use software RAID in linux. Mandrake even lets you do it during the install ....

It wont then work with windows....

RAID on linux is VERY Robust....

you can pull a drive out and have a complete copy, stick in a blank drive at it will rebuild it!

I have a nforce3 with SATA and although Im not using it its not causing any problems beyond it wouldnt install from cd !

These problems are people who want to use Windows RAID on Linux... it might be possible but I dont care personally becuase Im happy with linux raid and I dont use windows.