Installing Linksys Wireless card on a Laptop

Hi,

This is my very first post. Please bare with me...I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 and a Linksys Wireless Card model WPC11ver. 4. I've read LiquidZoo's guide http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=5494

When I tried to do /sbin/cardctl ident, I got "no product info available" for both sockets. I've also read that i should try restarting it by using the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmia restart but it didn't word neither.

Could anyone :help: ?

Edit:Forgot to mention I just installed mdk10

Edited by PPPP

Moved this to Laptops.

What he means is, can you go into the Mandrake Control Center and see the card listed there?

From what I've read, version 4 of that card is not supported by Linux with a native driver. That's unfortunate, but not the end of the world. Head over to http://ndiswrapper.sf.net and grab their software. It's something like a driver "wrapper". It should get you going.

in MCC, it says "RTL8180 Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-) PCI NIC, under Ethernetcard.

On the site you've given, it says Mdk 10 already has it installed. Does that mean I don't need to install it again? I'm really new at this compiling source business. Therefore I try to stay away from it as much as I can...at least until I'm more comfortable with it.

Ok great! It's installed and recognized. Now all you have to do is configure it.

Take a look at my FAQ again and start at the configuration step, or just open up Harddrake again (where you saw it was recognized) and click on the button that says "Run Config Tool". Make sure you choose "Expert Mode" in the config tool. Just enter the settings you need to when it comes to setting up that card. They have boxes for everything, doesn't mean you have to fill them all in, though.

Where do I choose "Expert Mode"? When I click on "Run Config Tool", I'll say "Choose the connection you want to configure". There, I chose "WIreless connection", then "Net Device: Manual Choice". Next I selected "orinoco_pci" but then it'll jump back to the "Net Device: Manual Choice" screen.

From reading your tutorial, I'd need to find the manfid by using" cardctl ident". But I'm getting "no product info available" for both sockets. Where do I go from there?

I keep forgetting that 10 is different than 9.2 was.

You should probably choose something that matches your card more closely:

RTL8180 Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-) PCI NIC

On my system there is an rtl8150 driver, try that.

The reason it's kicking you back to the "Manual Choice" screen is that the driver you chose doesn't match any cards that are installed.

As for the manfid, you only need that if your card isn't recognized from the start. Yours is so you can skip that step.

That's really strange.

Can you try setting it up as a LAN connection instead of a wireless connection? See if it gives you the option to pick the card we already know is detected. If it does, then you can configure it from there.

If there was no output and it went back to normal, that's a good thing.

Now, I have no idea how to configure ndiswrapper, so bear with me.

First, try connecting to the internet. See if that works. There's a slim chance that is will.

If it doesn't, don't worry. That's fine too.

Try going into the net connection wizard (same as you did above) and see if it will recognize the card now. That's more likely, but you still might need the Win driver for that particular card. If you have the disk that it came with, great. If now, head here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/support...d_chipsets.html and grab the driver (there's a link, it's the 3rd one from the bottom).