why is my kernel panicking?

ChrisM

OK, using MDK10CE dual booted with MS ME (temporary measure, until I get a new router, to replace the modem I have - and then the plan is for a mdk 9.2 full install).

This combination, whilst not perfect, at least worked. However, I relied upon MS ME to give internet access. Last week the 'entire' system crashed and burned. Opening into ME just took me to a menu option asking if I want to log in as safe mode or normal - whatever I choose, it whirs aroiund for a few seconds and auto shuts down; trying to go into MDK10CE was impossible too - I just had a blurred screen of text. I tried to reinstall MDK10CE but it wouldn't allow. I can't reinstal mdk10CEl ME or Win98.

I have knoippix 3.3 and this starts to boot up OK initially but then tells me I have a kernel panic. (I'll try again and get the text string and post up)

I cannot access any OS and I am totally unable to install any OS.

Whats gone wrong - any ideas?

I suggest you go to the website of that manufacturer of your hard drive, download their hard drive utility disk, and use it to check your hard drive for errors. This sounds like a hard drive crash to me...but that's just an initial analysis.

sounds like you might have memory problems

How much mem do you have in??

Can you try a single module ? then the other ?

edits: in response to tymes suggestion that depends if you are trying to use a swap file on the HDD or not.... knoppix should work with no HDD at ALL.

Edited by Gowator

edits: in response to tymes suggestion that depends if you are trying to use a swap file on the HDD or not.... knoppix should work with no HDD at ALL.

The knoppix kernel panic may not be related to the other issues, it may just be a knoppix bug...but both memory and hard drive are likely culprits.

I believe the knoppix cd has memtest86 (is that right?) on it that could be used to test the memory. this should be an option at the lilo boot prompt.

Hey guys thanks for all the responses

I've a couple of days off, so I'll work through the responses - think first of all I'll start by disconnecting everything and then reinstall the lot, as suggested, making sure everything is connected OK - though I can't imagine why they shouldn't be, as nothing has been fiddled with.

I'll send an update of the progress.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

There is something called thermal cycling that can cause a computers parts to, in effect, disconnect themselves. Thermal cycling is caused by the computer heating and cooling as it is running then turned off. This heating and cooling caused the components to expand and contract resulting in them wiggling loose. Dust can also cause PC components to have bad connections.

Well,

I stripped it down, reconnected, and then reinstalled software/drivers etc and it was still giving problems. Then I remembered that some time ago, I installed a memory stick from a PC I'd cannabalised. Took this out and it now boots up OK. Still having to run MS ME (the biggest pile of dog droppings a PC can have installed) for internet access, until I can overcome the speedtouch modem problem for my MDK. I'm Running MDK10 CE at work so desperately waiting for new modem/router to enable the home install and to abandon M$ 4EVA.

Thanks for all the advice.